cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not find how to download exdat file for threat prevention 6.1 in "software"

Jump to solution
I could not find how to download lastest exdat file for threat prevention6.1 from McAfee download page either.(i can only see the dat file there) within ePO the "product update" in client task does not include "exdat" option either. Mcafee agent 5.5.1 Please advise. Thanks.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

Re: can not find how to download exdat file for threat prevention 6.1 in "software"

Jump to solution

Extra dats are not something that is generally available.  Here is how extra dats work.  You have a suspected virus in your environment, but vse/ens is not detecting it.  So you submit that suspected file as a sample to mcafee labs for analysis. They determine that it is a new variant, so they create a temporary definition file to detect that new variant and send it to you.  Then they work on adding that definition to the regular dats, which could take anywhere from a day to a week or more, depending on the complexity.  Once the definitions are in the regular dats, the ED is no longer used because it is in the regular dats. 

So in short, an ED is created for whoever submitted a sample and if it is critical, is sent out as a proactive. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

4 Replies
Reliable Contributor vnaidu
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: can not find how to download exdat file for threat prevention 6.1 in "software"

Jump to solution

Dear @User39846307 

If you have checked in the Extra DAT on your master repository, then you could create a product update task. Then you would get the option to choose the Extra DAT that is available in your master repository. This is the way you deploy the ED to your client machines.

I hope this information helps.

Venu

Jump to solution

Hi vnaidu

Thanks for your reply. I found where to "checked in the Extra DAT" in ePO.

but I could not find where to download that file either in EPO or Mcafee website.

Could you please share some light.

Thanks.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

If you have submitted a sample and McAfee labs provided you with an extra.dat, there would be a link for it in labs response somewhere.  If you have not submitted any samples, you will not have an extra.dat to download anywhere.  As I said, they are only created if someone submits samples and the malware is not currently in our dats.  If you have submitted a sample and they say there is an ED available, but you can't find it, please contact support with your SR number so they can get it for you.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Extra dats are not something that is generally available.  Here is how extra dats work.  You have a suspected virus in your environment, but vse/ens is not detecting it.  So you submit that suspected file as a sample to mcafee labs for analysis. They determine that it is a new variant, so they create a temporary definition file to detect that new variant and send it to you.  Then they work on adding that definition to the regular dats, which could take anywhere from a day to a week or more, depending on the complexity.  Once the definitions are in the regular dats, the ED is no longer used because it is in the regular dats. 

So in short, an ED is created for whoever submitted a sample and if it is critical, is sent out as a proactive. 

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community