cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

agent to server communication when port 443 is used by another program

Hi

I have PRTG software on my server (ePO on this sever as well) which its web interface oprates on port 443; (same port for mcafee agent to server communication.) so i see the error on mcafee agents log on clients that says couldnt contact ePO server! so my question is, does agents need 443 port to contact ePO or not and if its used by another program (like PRTG), can they still use port 8282 for instance to contact ePO server?

cheers

6 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: agent to server communication when port 443 is used by another program

You specify the port when ePO is installed, so if you chose 443, that's what the agents will try to use  

It's possible to change the port - please see KB72936 for details - or if it's only a few machines or a recent installation you can uninstall & reinstall ePO, and choose a different port during the install.

HTH -

Joe

thanks for your responce.

im wondering, if the port remain in use by another program, so agents fail to contact ePO on port 443, will they still use unsecure port or they wont contact ePO anymore until 443 port is free again for ePO?

cheers

Tristan
Level 15
Message 4 of 7

When you customize the ports during the installation all agents deployed from the new ePO install will use the specified ports.

For example we use 9080 and 9443 as our custom ports and have left it at that, no need to change it back

Message was edited by: Tristan on 16/07/12 10:37:11 IST

i know i can change it. but my question is, if i dont change the default ports, and then some other program start using 443 port, will clients fall back on unsecure port (which is 8282 if i'm correct) or they will fail on contacting ePO server all together?

Tristan
Level 15
Message 6 of 7

Another program will not be able to use 443. Once ePO is 'Listening' on 443 then normally the other program will get errors attempting to connect to the port saying it's already in use.

yes true but i installed PRTG on the same server and it occupied port 443 for its web interface and i saw on mcafee agents' log on clients that connection to ePO fail (it was a line highlighted in red). so now since mcafee has 443 as secure port and 8282 as unsecure port, logically it would switch to 8282 if 443 was not responding (or it wont and its hard coded to use 443 only)!