cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML schema definition for policy XML

Jump to solution

Does McAfee publish a schema document describing the format of XML-formatted policy data?  At a high level, I'd like to export data from ePO as XML, edit it extensively, and then import it to a server (similar to the use case described in this post).  I can do that easily, of course, but I want to make sure that I don't run afoul and render my XML document invalid for importing to the new server.  If anyone knows of either

1) a formal XML schema document for ePO-exported XML policies, or

2) any guidelines for best practices when editing ePO's XML policy documents

then I'd greatly appreciate any information.

Message was edited by: apsillers on 5/30/12 3:39:53 PM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: XML schema definition for policy XML

Jump to solution

Hi...

1) a formal XML schema document for ePO-exported XML policies 

I'm not aware of such a document - I've had a look internally and can't find anything applicable, sorry

Strictly from the point of view as a tech support guy, I'd have to say "Don't!"    We do not support, or recommend, this kind of policy manipulation, although of course I can see situations where it would be valuable to be able to do this. I haven't investigated the ePO 4.6 web API in much detail - it may be that you can use this to achieve your goal, and still remain in a supported environment. Possibly some other forum members can offer insight - alternatively there's a sunforum for web API topics.

HTH -

Joe

2 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hi...

1) a formal XML schema document for ePO-exported XML policies 

I'm not aware of such a document - I've had a look internally and can't find anything applicable, sorry

Strictly from the point of view as a tech support guy, I'd have to say "Don't!"    We do not support, or recommend, this kind of policy manipulation, although of course I can see situations where it would be valuable to be able to do this. I haven't investigated the ePO 4.6 web API in much detail - it may be that you can use this to achieve your goal, and still remain in a supported environment. Possibly some other forum members can offer insight - alternatively there's a sunforum for web API topics.

HTH -

Joe

Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer!  I'll make an effort to refactor my approach to use the web API, instead of using file manipulation.