Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dawie
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Would it be possible to have a client deployment task make use of a distributed repository instead of the master repository?

Ok here is my environment:

An ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 server with master repository.

A few UNC distributed repositories replicating DAT, Engine, ExtraDAT, Agent 4.5, VSE 8.5, VSE 8.7 and VSE Patches (Faster link speeds)

A few FTP distributed repositories replicating DAT, Engine, ExtraDAT and Agent 4.5 (Slower link speeds)

Now if I understand it right when I create a client deployment task for VSE 8.7 to computers connected to an UNC distributed repository it will fetch the packages from the master repository. Same for when I create a client deployment task for Agent 4.5 to computers connected to a FTP distributed repository.

Am I right to assume that this is the way it works or am I wrong? If I am right would the question in the subject be possible?

Message was edited by: Dawie on 1/21/10 4:25:57 AM CST
Labels (1)
6 Replies
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Re: Would it be possible to have a client deployment task make use of a distributed repository instead of the master repository?

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, but I think you may be wrong (if you see what I mean.)

Tasks pull their packages from the repository they are configured to use - so if the repo in question is a UNC repo, that's where they get their packages from: not the master. The packages in the distributed repos are put there by the server via a replication task, which copies the relevant packages from the master to the distributed repos.

So to answer your questoin - yes, because that's how it's supposed to work    I assume from the question that you are seeing something different?

Regards -

Joe

Dawie
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

Re: Would it be possible to have a client deployment task make use of a distributed repository instead of the master repository?

Thanks for the reply Joe. Let me paint a picture of my question.

I have an ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 server at our head office with its master repository. Then I have a file server at a branch setup as an UNC distributed repository. Now the computers at that site is running Agent 4.0 and I want to upgrade them all to 4.5. So I expand my System Tree until I get to the section that holds the computer opjects. I then got to client tasks for that section and create a task that will install 4.5 for all computers in that section. I also make sure that the computers that I want the update to apply to points to the UNC distributed repository on the file server at that branch as their first option. Now when the tasks kicks off instead of fetching Agent 4.5 from the UNC distributed repository it grabs it from the master repository. Each machine having to do this basicly kill the data link. Normal DAT, Engine, ExtraDAT and VSE updates works fine.

McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Ah, OK. In that case in theory it should be working: as long as the agent package is in the distributed repo, the clients should be pulling it from there.

I'd run the task on a machine, and after it's failed to get the agent package from the correct repo, check the agent_machinename.log and mcscript.log - any relevant errors should be logged there. Post them here if you like and we can have a look.

Regards -

Joe

Dawie
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

I will scedule a new task tonight and if the problem is still there attach the files requested.

Dawie,

Check the current agent policy. In the repositories tab you should have the UNC setup, and select repository by subnet. In this case the agent will contact the "closest" repo and pull the task.

What do you have setup at the moment???

Dawie
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

I currently have it set to ping all repositories and select the one with the lowest ping. Since the one onsite will have a 1ms ping the agents should always retrieve packages from it.

Message was edited by: Dawie on 1/21/10 10:56:21 AM CST
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community