Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 25

RE: Windows 7 RTM + VSE 8.7 P2 + MA 4.0 P3 = no client policy enforcement

Yesterday, I was in the same scenario. We alos have EPO 3.6.1. Installed the Agent 4.0 Patch 3 & VSE 8.7i Patch 2. The Windows 7 RC test system would not pull down the latest patch 2 or even the 5400 engine. The only way that the client would get the latest updates was to manually do an "Update Now" on the client system.

I am also worrying that we have a bug in EPO 3.6.1 and Windows 7 since we can't add the extensions file because that is for EPO 4.0. Also how do you re-create the deployment task in EPO 3.6.1. I also noticed that the Windows 7 system would not display the managed tasks in the VSE 8.7i console. The agent policy is for it to display these tasks.

We have just installed Windows 7 Enterprise build 7600 on the test system. I will try again in the morning and make a call to McAfee if it does not work. I hate to have to upgrade the server to EPO 4.0 or 4.5 just to make Windows 7 systems work.

So epo 3.61 goes EOL on December 31 so we'll have to get over to 4 or 4.5 before then..
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 25

Just spent the last hour with McAfee Tech support. We have installed McAfee Agent 4.0 P3 (4.0.0.1494) onto a Windows 7 RTM client. From the EPO 3.6.1 server we have been unable in getting the client to pick up any new deployment/update tasks. We are trying to get the Windows 7 system to install VSE 8.7 with Patch 2.

The McAfee tech did a Webex session into both the server and client and verified that it is not working. She believed that it might be a new bug and ran the MerTool. She is going to pass this info up to Tier II.

I know in the release notes for the MA 4.0 P3 is says that you have to re-create your deployment/update tasks. We can't re-create the deployment task under EPO 3.6.1 as the default one is all you have.

If this is not fixed, then we will have to upgrade the EPO 3.6.1 server to version 4.0. Does anyone know if the above issue occurs under EPO 4.0?
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 25

Just got an email from McAfee Tech Support:

ePO 3.6.1 users planning to manage or deploy to Windows 7 clients must upgrade to ePO 4.0 or ePO 4.5. The McAfee Agent Management NAP contained in the MA 4.0 Patch 3 package, does not contain the required updates to allow the management of Windows 7 clients. ePO 3.6.1 is approaching product end of life on Dec. 31, 2009.

It looks we are going to have to upgrade to either EPO 4.0 or 4.5 sooner than we expected.

just out of curiosity, in you testing on windows 7, did the mcafee icon and the agent successfully merge into the M icon in the systray? It did not on mine, and with the 4.5 agent it doesnt show the epo agent at all in the systray, just the virusshield.
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Yes, the "M" icon did show up and both icon merged into one. This is Windows 7 RTM (build 7600) 32 bit version. Even with the RC version build 7100 the "M" icon shows.

Is the Windows 7 that you are running, the 64 bit version? If it is, then that could be your problem with the "M" icon not showing.
TonyK
Level 7
Message 17 of 25

Re: RE: Windows 7 RTM + VSE 8.7 P2 + MA 4.0 P3 = no client policy enforcement

We have had a few issues with Win7 and ePO 4, but haven't had to recreate tasks.  We though this was going to happen because the 30 or so Win 7 systems in ePO 4 weren't updateing DATs, and I noticed they didn't have any of the managed tasks.  But I believe this is related to the fact that we currently have ePO and VSE 8.7 patch 2 in the image for WIn7.

When we ran an agent fix tool we created (just a wise package that does a /forceunisntall and a /forceinstall on the agent file for the correct server) and had the systems check in, they got the tasks.  I have noticed that the CMDAgent.exe won't run with UAC enabled though.  Anyone noticed that, or know a way around it other than disabling UAC?

McAfee Employee spamidi
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 25

Although the KB66707 is for Vista, I believe the same applies for Windows 7 - need to run cmdagent from a command prompt with administrator privileges.

Just to confirm what Sailendra stated, if you enable the "Show the McAfee system tray icon (Windows only)" option and open the status monitor, you don't need the elevated priviledges.  If you want to run cmdagent.exe from command prompt, it must be an admin command prompt.  I also have startup scripts via AD group policy that launch cmdagent.exe that work fine in windows 7 x86/x64 using system credentials.

Agree, but I would go a step further and say, why can't it be setup so you just check in the package and it automatically does the extensions for you.....as you say, it grabs the rest of the stuff from the zip, why not the extensions also.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator