Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SeaCat
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 33

Windows 7 RTM, EPO 4.0 tasks and policies not updating

Running into an issue with the Windows 7 RTM and the Agent not pulling down policies or tasks to the machine. Was wondering if anyone else was tinkering with Windows 7 and happened to have this same issue?

Virusscan 8.7 installs fine manually as well as the agent. However the agent will not pull down the install tasks for 8.7 nor will it pull down policy updates.

Setup:

EPO 4.0 Patch 5
Virusscan 8.7i Patch 1
Management Agent 4.0 Patch 2
Tags (3)
32 Replies

RE: Windows 7 RTM, EPO 4.0 tasks and policies not updating

I get exactly the same issue which is a bit of a pain.

Install agent from EPO, *ding*
Install VS 8.7i manually, *ding*
Install DAT updates for VS, *ding*
Download policies *nuuhh*
Download taks *nuuhh*
Updated information on EPO server *nuuhh*

I know that Patch 3 for McAfee Agent 4 is going to be released at the end of Aug and that is supposed to support Windows 7, but is that tomorrow (Friday) or next week?

Also does anyone know if my EPO 4 P2 server be fine or do I have to go to EPO 4.5 or EPO 4 P5?
SeaCat
Level 7
Message 3 of 33

The patch was supposed to be released on August 25th, I actually called support to see if they had heard anything about this issue and I got the "we're not supporting Windows 7 at this time" line. The patch has been delayed for next month due to an issue they found and they are trying to work the bugs out I guess, that's what the tech said anyways.

I would think they would support EPO 4.0 for Windows 7, unless they use it as a way to force us to go to 4.5.

b*****ks

well, in that case sounds like we're up a certain creek without a paddling device. it certainly doesn't want to talk to the server. Haven't done a wireshark yet (has anyone?), but I'm assuming it's not even bothering to try. Suppose in that sense, it could be a Windows 7 problem

Thought Microsoft said "if it worked on Vista, it will work on Windows 7" or did I dream that?

What about McAfee Agent 4.5?? I saw someone somewhere mentioned that it would be out end of Q3 this year. Don't suppose they've wrapped it up with EPO 4.5?

arrggghhh...just noticed that 4.5 doesn't support SQL 2000!!

Curse you McAfee and your lack of support for products nearly 10 years old!!

ok, this has got a bit strange...

If I install EPO agent 3.6.0.453, it does actually talk to the server (reckons I have Vista 6.1)

and now my HIPS icon has appeared....

and I now have HIPS policies....

and my VS has policies....

and now it has upgraded to MA 4.0.0.1444....

...but it's still talking to the server. I can even do a wakeup

it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!!!

No, wait, it's actually identified Windows 7 Workstation 6.1

but it's def working
SeaCat
Level 7
Message 7 of 33

So you installed a 3.6 agent, let it talk to your server, upgraded to 4.0 agent and it's pulling policies and tasks down to the machine?
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 8 of 33

have you tried the 4.5 beta agent?

I tried Agent 4.5 and it didnt work.

Pretty much

We had the old agent wrapped up into a single EXE file (this was before we did agent installs from the EPO server)

Windows 7 ran it with XP SP2 compatability (spelling?) and the agent installed fine, even had the little blue shield in the task bar

The agent downloaded the policies and tasks and began installing VS hotfixes, HIPS patches and then upgraded the agent. I still get the blue agent symbol instead of the red M we usually get but DAT updates are still coming

Not sure why that would make any difference (perhaps it's installed everything as XP SP2 and the agent believe it's running on an XP SP2 machine)

Either way, I had a lot more success with the 3.x agent so I would recommend trying it
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator