cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?

Here is a way we use custom props to facilitate pilot groups...

https://community.mcafee.com/message/140474#140474

Andrew

Highlighted

I use them to differenciate devices within ePO based on their purpose.  It's nice to populate the registry entries with a script based on the presence of an application or setting that is specific to a particular use case that might benefit from specialized organization and management within ePO.  Quite often these machines are otherwise indestinguishable from similar hardware in the ePO console.

you think it is possible to run a script that would populate the custom fields keys with the serial, make and model of a computer.  The script is easy its just putting it together to work with mcafee.  I have been asking mcafee for years to automatically pull this information.  They pull all alot of other hardware info why not this.  We use their encryption product and it is difficult if you cant match up a serial number to an object that was stolen.  Plus they misdetect laptops something horrible .  This makes it hard to autoencrypt or set policy based on laptop.

Absolutely it's possible.  I already did this as a test using WMI.

is it possible you could share the script and procedure with me?  I would be greatly appreciated and I think many others in this form would find this of great value.

broot
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 16 of 50

When you write the script to pull the information you need, you can set the info in custom properties as so:

C:/Program Files/McAfee/Common Framework/msaconfig -CustomProps1 "<text>" -CustomProps2 "<text>" -CustomProps3 "<text>" -CustomProps4 "<text>"

On the next Agent-server communcation, these values will automatically be reported to ePO.

don't forget 64bit:-)

You have to run msaconfig?  In my readings it says to use frminst.exe instead and that the msaconfig was for unix.  Am i missing something?  just another question, can you just import the reg keys for these fields or does it have to be run with msaconfig or frminst.exe to take affect?  I was think about scripting it to just export the regkeys with the information I want and not sure if I have to run frminst.exe /customprop1="<text>" in the script or just output the regkeys i need.

broot
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 19 of 50

Yes, msaconfig does work for inserting custom properties on Windows systems. This method is much quicker than running Frminst.

And yes, you are correct - you can instead simply insert the custom properties by adding the necessary registry keys. With this method, neither Frminst nor msaconfig need to be executed.

Message was edited by: broot. Edited for clarity. on 8/27/10 5:17:01 PM CDT

I am making on now, will post when done unless someone else already has a good working one.

Message was edited by: Dvanmeter on 8/28/10 3:17:53 AM CDT
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community