cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's happens when computer rebuilt with same hostname/IP?

Hi guys,

Standard ePO setup of if a computer gets put into an OU, it will auto install the Agent, AV and Encryption.

If a faulty machine is rebuilt with the same name and IP, how would ePO handle that? Would you expect ePO to push the agent, policies and software down to this machine, or...?

Thanks for any help.

4 Replies

Re: What's happens when computer rebuilt with same hostname/IP?

When you talk about OU are you talking about within ePO or Active Directory. Also, for info, what version of ePO are you runnning.

Cheers

Whoops - within AD that syncs with ePO 4.5.

I didn't think AD would allow you to create a machine with the same name of an existing machine.

I don't use AD sync, but i do know that ePO matches the Mac address of an existing client and will usually overwrite the existing ePO info with the newer info.

We've had support reimage an encrypted machine for someone else (that had tree sorting disabled) and it has updated the existing info and appeared in the same group and installed EEPC!

So in theory if it makes it back into ePO it should apply  all the same policies(thats if it gets into AD with the same name)

HTH

Jane

I have a similar scenario where I deploy machines via SCCM that includes an ePO agent install plus we have an AD sync task.  There have been a numer of times that I will re-deploy a machine using the existing machine name.  In most cases, ePO updates the existing client entry with the new GUID.  Periodically I will run a query for duplicate machine names and eliminate any stale entries.