cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to upgrade agents to 4.5 and move them to another server?

Jump to solution

Hi

I have installed a fresh ePO 4.5 beside our old tired 4.0. Now I want to upgrade the agents a few at the time, and have them to connect to the new ePO.

How do I do that, the smartest way?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
apoling
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 19 of 21

Re: What is the best way to upgrade agents to 4.5 and move them to another server?

Jump to solution

Yes the installation always requires the Framepkg.exe to be copied to the client and run there.

I have another comment: if you chose to use the logon script to install framepkg.exe, this might be noticeable for clients when the file gets copied and then run locally.

Did you determine yet what method you will use?

A similar situation occurs to me in our organization: one of our department has been outsourced and their clients needed to get redirected to their own ePO server. I recommended the solution that I recommended to you now, except not via logon script but MS SMS, and the admins were too generous and chose to install (push) the framepkg.exe ("hey we have ample bandwidth no matter what") instead of the smaller package.

Attila

20 Replies
Highlighted

Re: What is the best way to upgrade agents to 4.5 and move them to another server?

Jump to solution

I believe that the best way is to deploy agents 4.5 from the new ePO 4.5 server, the other way meybe is to upgrade the old ePO 4.0 to 4.5 , make a trust relationship betwen old and new and when is done transfer egent across ePOs.

apoling
Level 14
Message 3 of 21

Jump to solution

I suppose you want to move clients from ePo 4.0 to ePO 4.5.

I would first redirect the clients to the new ePO 4.5 system where a deplyoment task would then upgrade the agent based on tags and the tag would be applied based on operating system, and only to those that is supported by MA 4.5.

The redirection could happen via login script (I do assume you use domains): this login script could copy the new encryption keys and the sitelist of the ePO 4.5 system to the local client to for example c:\ and run the command: (path)\frminst.exe /install=agent /siteinfo=c:\sitelist.xml.

Attila

Jump to solution

The logonscript-solution works probably fine a bit later in the rollout.

In this moment I would like to test the migration in smaller scale. Is it possible, from the ePO 4.0-server, to redirect agents to the new server?  

Jump to solution

Hmmmm the redirection function is only for 4.5 , could you migrate ePO 4.0 To 4.5?

on 1/13/11 7:46:39 AM GMT-06:00
apoling
Level 14
Message 6 of 21

Jump to solution

Why don't you test it on a client? Instead of logon script, you could enter the command manually (and copy the files there).

If you make sure that the clients to be redirected are of MA version that support ePO 4.5, they should interpret the new sitelist properly. It's just a new sitelist that they incorporate, and the new ePO server information therein. They should try at least to do an asci using the encryption keys.

Normally when you have an ePO 4.0 server with clients and you upgrade ePO server only, the clients should be able to use the new sitelist that they receive after the upgrade upon their next ASCI from their new ePO server.

It is the same as performing the command in my previous post. Should be...

Attila

Jump to solution

No. The 4.0 is SP2. It isn't even possible to install newer servicepacks. I haven't tested an upgrade, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work either.

apoling
Level 14
Message 8 of 21

Jump to solution

Well, upgradeing to ePO 4.5 requires a certain SP level for ePO 4.0 that is true.

Can I ask what prevents you from installing newest SP for ePO 4.0?

Attila

Jump to solution

Attila`s method is a good way to begin, but just for your information upgrading ePO 4.0 to 4.5 its  clean and smooth.I can tell you because I do it with 15.000 nodes here in my country .It was painless.

sorry my poor poor english hope you understand

Jump to solution

The problem is that we have about 15 000 clients. It feels a bit scary to do the redirect/upgrade in the logonscript...

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community