cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the official McAfee minimum and Best Practice Requirements for an Agent Handler?

Jump to solution

For a McAfee ePO 4.6.6 environment. The Agent Handlers (primary and secondary failover) are being installed for topological reasons. Need to put in an order for VMs and they prefer vendor recommendations to be considered. I found where the OS requirements were but nothing on memory, cpu, storage, etc...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

cupajotogo

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 7

Re: What are the official McAfee minimum and Best Practice Requirements for an Agent Handler?

Jump to solution

That's the only doc of its type I'm aware of, I'm afraid. Generally speaking an AH needs to be about the same spec as the ePO server, assuming the client load is spread evenly over them. However I believe you mentioned topological reasons, so presumably you won't have an even load distribution?

The golden rules for AHs are:
Never use more than you need - and the majority of customers don't need any additional ones at all

They must be as close to the ePO server and SQL server as possible. No WAN links.

Beyond that I'm afraid I can't be much help. In Support we don't really do any sizing as that's usually done pre-install. If you get in touch with your sales rep, they can probably put you in touch with an SE with sizing experience who can help.

HTH -

Joe

6 Replies

Re: What are the official McAfee minimum and Best Practice Requirements for an Agent Handler?

Jump to solution

Hi cupajotogo, I think that you should have enough with a dual-core CPU and 4GB Ram.

As per storage you don't need anything special as AH doesn't sotre data itself, except when caching packages that are requested by computers (cached for 30 minutes only I think)

Jump to solution

Laszlo, thank you for taking the time to try to help me. What I'm really looking for is the official McAfee documentation on this. Do you (or anyione else out there) know where this can be found?

Thanks!

cupajotogo

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi...

Please see the Sizing Guide for 4.6, which can be found here:  PD23282.

HTH -

Joe

Jump to solution

Sorry Joe, I thought that doc might be it but it only lists the Hardware Specs of the Agent Handlers it used for testing purposes. It does not say anywhere that this is McAfee's recomendations for minimum or optimum specs for an AH. Does this exist?

Thanks!

Cupajotogo

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

That's the only doc of its type I'm aware of, I'm afraid. Generally speaking an AH needs to be about the same spec as the ePO server, assuming the client load is spread evenly over them. However I believe you mentioned topological reasons, so presumably you won't have an even load distribution?

The golden rules for AHs are:
Never use more than you need - and the majority of customers don't need any additional ones at all

They must be as close to the ePO server and SQL server as possible. No WAN links.

Beyond that I'm afraid I can't be much help. In Support we don't really do any sizing as that's usually done pre-install. If you get in touch with your sales rep, they can probably put you in touch with an SE with sizing experience who can help.

HTH -

Joe

Jump to solution

Thanks Joe,

I am familiar with the general rule of thumb to have the specs match ePO... and yes, this is being installed for topological reason, not load balancing. The AH will in fact carry 100% of the load. I will see about getting hold of an SE on this. I think I've gone down that route an come up empty. If I get anywhere, I'll make sure to mention it on this thread. For now, will call this "solved"