cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VirusScan did not detect Cryptowall

I have a user who infected by cryptowall last week. All doucments were encrypted and renamed with random character file name and extension sub filename.
But VirusScan didnot detect anything. DAT is most updated version. What I have missed to config in ePO?

Last time, another users were infected, but virusscan found the exe immediately after it run.

2 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: VirusScan did not detect Cryptowall

It's called Cryptowall so corrected the header and I moved this from Consumer to Business > ePO for better handling.

Meanwhile see this:  https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/25000/PD25203/en_US/...

When these things hit, do not touch any keys or your mouse, power straight off and then back on in Safe Mode and see if a System Restore can be initiated.

That's the advice I give to consumers, however it may be different in Enterprise so will leave that to the experts here.

---

Peter

Re: VirusScan did not detect Cryptowall

alexandersirius wrote:

But VirusScan didnot detect anything. DAT is most updated version. What I have missed to config in ePO?

It sounds like the answer is nothing.  A new variant was released for which there is no current signature.  This happens all the time and is not unexpected. 

Wipe the system and restore the data from backup, if any.  That's about all you can safely do in these situations.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community