cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirusScan Enterprise failing to install on PC via the ePO

Jump to solution

I'm struggling to get VirusScan Enterprise to install on a Windows 7 computer via the ePO. Let me explain what's happening:

The computer is seen as "managed" in the ePO in the System Tree. The agent has already been installed on the computer and can connect with the ePO server. However, I have a client task called "Deploy VirusScan Enterprise" that I'm trying to run on that specific system, but it keep failing.

The log in the Server Task Log portion of the ePO says "Run now task Deploy VirusScan Enterprise failed. Details: Product 'VIRUSSCAN8800' installation failed, reason 'Unknown error'.." 

I'm not sure why I can't get VSE installed on the computer. Does anyone have any ideas? 

If it helps, the McAfee Agent is version 5.5.0 with the minor version of 447.

VirusScan Enterprise is version 8.8.0 with the minor version of 2114.

The Windows 7 computer I'm trying to install it to is 64-bit and Service Pack 1.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the ePO server and all computer are on an intranet so it can't access the Internet.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: VirusScan Enterprise failing to install on PC via the ePO

Jump to solution

I just realized something. I can install everything just fine on Windows 10 computers running build 1809. Do you think that the versions of the software I'm trying to install aren't compatible with Windows 7 anymore and that's why I'm struggling to install it? The versions I'm trying to install are mentioned in my original post. 

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Does it work if you use a scheduled task instead of run client task now?  Here are places to look.

client side - c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs.

masvc log will show it getting and invoking the task.

mcscript log (or mcscript_deploy log if exists) will show it getting files from repository (or failing) and running the setup file.  Once it executes setup, then you go to windows\temp\mcafeelogs and look at the vse install log for why it failed.

Also, if you run the install locally, you might see errors pop up as you run the install that might show why it is failing. 

Is this a fresh install or are you trying to upgrade it to a later patch?  If upgrade, you can't use the full installer - you have to check in just the patch and use an update task to update it that way.  The full installer will bail out if it is already installed, as it will recognize vse already exists (regardless of patch level).

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I just realized something. I can install everything just fine on Windows 10 computers running build 1809. Do you think that the versions of the software I'm trying to install aren't compatible with Windows 7 anymore and that's why I'm struggling to install it? The versions I'm trying to install are mentioned in my original post. 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

KB51111 is the supported environment kb for VSE.  You can verify supportability there.  Otherwise you would need to look at the VSE install logs to see why it failed on those systems.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community