cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VirusScan 7.1 Migration

Hi,

We're planning a migration with ePO 4.0.0
Most of our workstations are running VS7.1 (using manual installation - no ePO)
On these workstation, I can see the frameworkservice.exe running (McAfee Agent)
Version is 3.1.2

In our planning migration, we plan to create a group and configure an AD sync (with no automatic client installation) on this group. We plan to configure an Agent strategy on this group. All workstations will be in this group/

Because we want to migrate step by step (20/30 workstations max) can you confirm me that the strategy won't apply to the workstation which don't have been updated with the new agent but only those on which we deploy the new agent (4.0.0)

I don't want my 2500+ workstation be configured one shot 😄

Thank you for your feedback.

MM
6 Replies

RE: VirusScan 7.1 Migration

If I understand correctly, this will be a new server? If that's the case, then your workstations will continue to talk to the old server until you push an agent to them from the new one.
Highlighted

Hi Jeff and thank you for your answer !

The workstations are currently NOT managed by any ePO Server.
But because they have an agent installed (installed by VirusScan I think) I would like to be sure that the new ePO Server won'y try to communicate with them even if they appear in a group.

😮
Highlighted

With the default settings, it will not. Once you push the agents, it's actually the agents that periodically poll the server for updates, not the other way around. The clients have no way of knowing about the ePO server until they get an agent from it, with the server info in a file called sitelist.xml.
Highlighted

Actually to get that technically correct your manual VSE clients do not run the frameworkservice in "Managed mode" (=ePO Agent) but in "Updater mode" (unmanaged mode) happy
Highlighted

Thank you metalhead for this information.

Is there a méthod to detect if the agent is in the updated or managed mode ?

Thank you.

grin
Highlighted

If you open the agent log (agent_%computername%.xml) and check the third column (component) you see updater instead of agent if running in updater mode.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community