Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jj4sec
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Virtual vista/win 2008 sequence error : how to solve

Jump to solution

It seems that the virtual vista/win 2008 machines, are not connecting with the EPO-server.

This problem is possibly caused by the sequence number check.  How can clients being forced to communicate again correctly with the EPO-server ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Re: Virtual vista/win 2008 sequence error : how to solve

Jump to solution

jj4sec wrote:

I woke the systems form the central EPO sever and got an update on software, DAT, ...   Also events were send from the client to the server so I thought the communication was corrected again.  Today I did a new check and indeed the machines having sequence numbers yesterday, do have them again today.

The sequence number check is not applied to updates (even from the  master repository) or event uploads - only to agent-to-server comms as  part of a policy check - so this is to be expected.

Shouldn't it be logical that when a wake-up call would reset the sequence number because the communication did work at that moment ?

No, I'm afraid not - it only looked like the machine was communicating: in fact it was not. A wakeup call will never reset an incorrect sequence number.

Regards -

Joe

9 Replies
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Please see KB 65611

HTH -

Joe

jj4sec
Level 11
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

If I read the article correctly.

The only thing the document describes is that you can check the EPO server on machines having sequence numbers but not on how the cause can be solved.

How do I get my clients communicating againg without setting off the sequence check on my server.

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

You can disable the sequence check by setting ConnectionsRequireValidSequenceNumber=0 - this will prevent the check from preventing communication.

HTH -

Joe

jj4sec
Level 11
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

I don't want to swithc off the sequence check on the server.

How can I push the clients communicating again.  A deploy agent solves it but are there other options ?

McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

A push agent installation will fix it, but if you are restoring virtual images in your environment, the problem will happen again unless you disable the sequence check. You could end up having to redeploy the agent on a regular basis

Regards -

Joe

jj4sec
Level 11
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

I did some testing today and it seems that the client starts communicating again after I did a "wake up agent".

Could this also being forced from the client.  Then it would be possible to add this to the activation process of VMWare machines.

McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

jj4sec wrote:

I did some testing today and it seems that the client starts communicating again after I did a "wake up agent".

If that's the case, then the original problem was not the sequence number. Once an agent's sequence numbers are out of sync with the server, no further communication is possible until the sequence numbers are reset (which can be achieved by reinstalling the agent, or deleting it from the ePO console without removing the agent and allowing the agent to communicate with the server again.)

HTH -

Joe

jj4sec
Level 11
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

I woke the systems form the central EPO sever and got an update on software, DAT, ...   Also events were send from the client to the server so I thought the communication was corrected again.  Today I did a new check and indeed the machines having sequence numbers yesterday, do have them again today.

Shouldn't it be logical that when a wake-up call would reset the sequence number because the communication did work at that moment ?

McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

jj4sec wrote:

The sequence number check is not applied to updates (even from the  master repository) or event uploads - only to agent-to-server comms as  part of a policy check - so this is to be expected.

No, I'm afraid not - it only looked like the machine was communicating: in fact it was not. A wakeup call will never reset an incorrect sequence number.

Regards -

Joe

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community