cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
l4fngm4n
Level 7

Virtual ePO Server?

I ma looking at standing up a replacment ePO server (current on aging hardware) and was toying with the idea of a virtual machine. Is this advisable? What are some pros and cons?

Edit: I am currently runing ePO 4.6.

Message was edited by: l4fngm4n on 10/31/12 12:32:38 PM CDT
0 Kudos
12 Replies
twenden
Level 13

Re: Virtual ePO Server?

We have been running our production and test ePO servers under VmWare ESXi 4.1 for at least a year with no issues. It certainly runs a lot faster and allows for easy testing due to snap shots.

0 Kudos
l4fngm4n
Level 7

Good to know! I would be doing this on a Windows 2008rs Std vm hosted in Hyper-V. My ISSO is conserned about up time and avalibility since this is a 'critical' system. My ePO server in my test enviornment is running in hyper v but it only serves about 10 systems. wasnt sure if i would lose functionality when expanded to around 600+.

Message was edited by: l4fngm4n on 10/31/12 12:45:14 PM CDT
0 Kudos
Valkyrja
Level 9

My original setup for both testing and production used virtual servers and everything worked out great.

0 Kudos
woody_
Level 7

Running our ePO on a Hyper-V VM and all is well. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1/SQL Server Enterprise 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
pierce
Level 13

Running ePO 4.6.4 on VMware without issue (separate DB server if that matters also on VMware) 1400 end points with no issues at the moment. Originally when we first started with 4.6.1 we had an issue with performance but we just assigned another CPU and that problem went away.

0 Kudos
Nielsb
Level 11

Good setup and is your separate DB sever also virtual?

0 Kudos
pierce
Level 13

Yup, everything virtual, even the agent handler in the DMZ. Makes it much easier that way!

0 Kudos
eeffuser
Level 7

What are the Specs of your VM CPU and Memory wise? We currently have ePO, EEFF, VirusScan and the ePO database all on the same host.  Thanks.

Message was edited by: eeffuser on 12/10/12 8:39:53 PM CST
0 Kudos
pierce
Level 13

2 * 2.26GHZ CPU's and 4GB of RAM for our ePO server.

We run, ePO, VSE, HIPS, EEPC, Site Advisor, Avecto, EEGO, DLP but only for 1500 end points.

Database is separate on a beast of a machine but its a shared SQL server not just ePO.

0 Kudos