Highlighted
bom2010
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

VSE and ENS On-Demand Scan is completed immediately after the start

Jump to solution

Hi everyone !

I have an issue when run virus full scan from ePO for 2 products VSE and ENS.

When full scan schedule is run , many PCs have same time started and complete as picture below.

Could someone help me explain why that is so ?Screenshot_16.png

Thanks Everyone read my post and have a nice day !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 11

Re: VSE and ENS On-Demand Scan is completed immediately after the start

Jump to solution

Scan times are based on the type of scan, number of files being scanned, resources, etc.  For example, a quick memory scan may take less than a minute, but a full system scan might take hours and a targeted scan, less than an hour.  The on demand scan log on the client will tell when the scan actually started and completed.

As for the events coming in, if your asci is 4 hours, for example, scan starts a little after the last asci and finishes about 2 hours after it started.  In this scenario, the events haven't been sent yet because they will be sent at the next asci.  So event received time for both will be same time.  However, if you actually drill into the event you will see the actual start/stop time, which most likely will not be immediately.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

10 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

The masvc log on the client will show it invoking the task for any possible clues, errors, etc.  You would also need to look at the on demand scan log for vse or ens to see if there were any issues with it.

c:\programdata\mcafee - the agent\logs directory is for the agent and vse/ens logs should be under desktop protection.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

bom2010
Level 8
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution
Thanks everyone give me the solution.
Let me check log on the client for detail. I will update status about log.
Thank for contributing !

Jump to solution

From what I have seen in a few systems, the time listed in the threat events tab is for the Event Received Time and if the job is taking less than 5 minutes they show up as the same time.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes, that would make sense.  Those type events are informational and are not sent immediately, but on every asci.  You could create a report that uses detected time instead.

Was my reply helpful?

bom2010
Level 8
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Can you tell me more details why the full scan time is less than 5 minutes? Normally it will take about 1.5 hours. Or are there any documents that explain the full time?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Scan times are based on the type of scan, number of files being scanned, resources, etc.  For example, a quick memory scan may take less than a minute, but a full system scan might take hours and a targeted scan, less than an hour.  The on demand scan log on the client will tell when the scan actually started and completed.

As for the events coming in, if your asci is 4 hours, for example, scan starts a little after the last asci and finishes about 2 hours after it started.  In this scenario, the events haven't been sent yet because they will be sent at the next asci.  So event received time for both will be same time.  However, if you actually drill into the event you will see the actual start/stop time, which most likely will not be immediately.

Was my reply helpful?

bom2010
Level 8
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution
Thank Cdinet give me information !
My default asci on the ePO is 60min, i am understand that scan time less than 60 min will return time to complete the same as start right? But I still have some PCs with scan time of 14, 35 or 34 min. All full scan setting is the same.
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Correct.  If you drill into the start and end events, it will give you the accurate start/stop times, not based on event received time.  You need to look at detected times.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Thank Cdinet
I just checked on the ePO that is correct about : Event Generated Time and Preferred Event Time.
But could you explain for me why some PCs have scan time is 14, 35 or 34 min

Untitled.png

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community