cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: VSE 8.8. 6807 DAT problem - urgent!

Uninstall/Reinstall did not work.  Still not detecting EICAR with On-Access.   Ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Reliable Contributor andrep1
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 32 of 230

If you haven't done so, reboot in between the uninstall/re-install.

Also, if you have other products leveraging the dat files, uninstalling them might make a difference.

Finally, you might want to look over all the entries the the vse88 manuall uninstall guide.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71179

If the superdat is upcoming, then I would wait on that.

In the meantime, you can be more aggressive with you web policies, email policies to tighten everything down.Also, if access protection is still functionnal with VSE then I would tighten those down seriously.

Hope this helps.

Reliable Contributor brentil
Reliable Contributor
Message 33 of 230

I agree, uninstall/reinstall sounds like more risk than waiting for a superDAT fix. 

mjmurra
Level 12
Message 34 of 230

Can I assume that the fix is being rolled into the 6810 dat file release?

Not really a great response from McAfee Engineering on this one... The issue is well over 24 hours old now, and it's been "officially" confirmed for nearly 24. That's a very long time to have AV in a faulty state.

My McAfee Account Manager just emailed me and said "SDAT is now in limited release." I'm not sure what that means for time frames but hope it's released soon.

Reliable Contributor brentil
Reliable Contributor
Message 36 of 230

Typically that means Platinum support has access to them and we will wait till it is available to RTW/Gold Support.  Also if their team is PST then it is noon their time still.

It seems 'hit or miss' as to whether or not OAS is being disabled.

conagher
Level 7
Message 38 of 230

I am finding in some cases OAS is set to enabled and has the 6809 dat, but OAS is still not active. This was confirmed by testing with the EICAR on machines that have the 6809 dat file, been rebooted, epo shows proper versions, and OAS set to enabled when viewing in console.

mjmurra
Level 12
Message 39 of 230

conagher wrote:

I am finding in some cases OAS is set to enabled and has the 6809 dat, but OAS is still not active. This was confirmed by testing with the EICAR on machines that have the 6809 dat file, been rebooted, epo shows proper versions, and OAS set to enabled when viewing in console.

I'm still looking to know what is in the APP Event Log for an affected machine, trying to correlate to see if a PC of mine with a similar problem is caused by this or something else.

My Event Viewer contains:

An error occured loading the Access Protection rule file (vscan.bof).  The error was 5 (0x5)

OAS doesn't work, but ODS does detect viruses. OAS is shown as enabled and running.

Message was edited by: mjmurra on 21/08/12 9:06:51 AM
conagher
Level 7
Message 40 of 230

I do not have that Event in my logs. Only event I have is in the system log.

Process **\mcshield.exe pid (2580) is not from a trusted source and was blocked from performing a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

But all the symptoms you listed are correct.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community