Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjmurra
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 71 of 230

Re: VSE 8.8. 6807 DAT problem - urgent!

Tristan wrote:

The query below when run from the command prompt of your ePO server ( or SQL if it's seperate) will give you a rudimentary list of machines it's installed on.

osql -E -S localhost\eposerver -d ePO4_<<yourservername>> -Q "select ln.nodename as Hostname, pp.productversion as Version, pp.hotfix as Patch, ps.value as Hotfix from epoleafnode ln join epoproductproperties pp on ln.autoid = pp.parentid join epoproductsettings ps on pp.autoid = ps.parentid where ps.settingname = 'Fixes' and ps.value like '%793640%' order by hostname"

Basically it's from https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67406 but with the correct hotfix value added.

While that does work, McAfee should be providing a more robust way of finding out this information. Not everyone wants to run commands directly on a database, and pretty pictures/reports are what Management wants when hearing about complete stuff-ups like this.

have they provided a way to find out if you NEED to deploy the hotfix yet ? Are we just presuming that ALL VSE 8.8 machines that had these dats previously need the hotfix ?

Many thanks

Highlighted

For me it is clear. We run an hourly update, so all servers/clients must have catched the false DAT's and have now the 6809. So for me that means, they are all affected, at least the servers, as they have no downtime...

CU

Thomas

Reliable Contributor brentil
Reliable Contributor
Message 74 of 230

Thomas_RCC wrote:

For me it is clear. We run an hourly update, so all servers/clients must have catched the false DAT's and have now the 6809. So for me that means, they are all affected, at least the servers, as they have no downtime...

CU

Thomas

Bingo, I'm in the same boat.  I'm deploying the update to everything because I'd rather waste some bandwidth than be wrong and not know machines are actually not working correctly.

Reliable Contributor
Message 75 of 230

Superhoop wrote:

have they provided a way to find out if you NEED to deploy the hotfix yet ? Are we just presuming that ALL VSE 8.8 machines that had these dats previously need the hotfix ?

Many thanks

If you know that systems got DAT 6807/6808 and at any point you saw "DAT Date     0/0/0"  OR  "DAT Version     0.0000"  OR  "Engine Version     0.0000" you then have 3 options.  Hope nothing is wrong, wait for the smaller patch with no ETA, or deploy this update.

mjmurra
Level 12
Message 76 of 230

brentil wrote:

If you know that systems got DAT 6807/6808 and at any point you saw "DAT Date     0/0/0"  OR  "DAT Version     0.0000"  OR  "Engine Version     0.0000" you then have 3 options.  Hope nothing is wrong, wait for the smaller patch with no ETA, or deploy this update.

Any machine that received 6807 or 6808 could be non-working and exhibiting one of several states. What EPO records is not relevant in some cases as it can look ok, but still be not working.

Reliable Contributor
Message 77 of 230

Thanks for that SQL Management query, it's a lot nicer than the one I had made.

I've always been very surprised that there was no way to build an ePO query that returns installed hotfixes.  Because when you use the one labeled Hotfix/Patches all it does is return if you're running Patch 1,2,3,etc instead of hotfix values.

Reliable Contributor
Message 78 of 230

This item is labeled as a "hotfix" which means you treat it just like any other hotfix or patch you get from McAfee for your products.  There are KB articles & the product guide both describe how to do these steps as well.

1. Check the item in to the software repository as a "Product or Update (.ZIP)"
  2. There should be nothing to overwrite as there is no previous version of this patch/hotfix and hotfixes do not overwrite point products
  3. Go to your system tree and for the group you want to test with or just the main organization and click on "Assigned Client Tasks"
  4. If you have a Task Type of "Product Update" and it is set to either "All Packages" or "VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0" you're done, all your users will get this update on the schedule you've defined already
  5. If you do not have any Task Type of "Product Update" then click Actions->New Client Task Assignment
  6. Click McAfee Agent -> Product Update -> Create New Task
  7. Give the task a name and then in the bottom uncheck everything and then check only "VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0" and click Save
  8. Make SURE you now click on the task you just created in Task Name because it will not do it for you and then click Next
  9. Define your time frames you want it deployed and enable any randomization to decrease load on your ePO & network

If you have the bandwidth and you're unsure if you're machines are fixed or not just go ahead and deploy it.

So, far the only systems that I'm seeing this fix work on are my 2008 systems.  2003 systems show it as applied, but still fails EICAR.  Has anyone else seen this?

harris_s
Level 9
Message 80 of 230

Same here. The hotfix also seems to be causing issues now with opening hotmail messages too!

Some of our servers and a few PC's are still open to threat, my patience is running thin. Why doesn't this hotfix appear to be installing/working?

Message was edited by: harris_s on 21/08/12 13:56:48 IST

Message was edited by: harris_s on 21/08/12 13:57:33 IST
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community