Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyanK
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Upgrading from ePO 5.3.3 to 5.9.1 combatibility Version issue

Hi All,

I'm trying to use the "Upgradecompatibility" application to upgrade from 5.3.3 to 5.9.1 and move EPO to another server.

I'm to the point that it passes the "Product Compatibility Check" then it checks the EPO version. I get the message-

"This utility supports migrating from ePolicy Orchestrator version 4.6.8. Please upgrade to 4.6.8 patch."

Mcafee.JPG

The version was 5.3.2 which was the same result and did an in place upgrade to 5.3.3 to see if it would pick up that is was on a newer version.

Anyone had this issue before and managed to get the issue solved? or am I just doing something wrong? 🙂

Thanks

Ryan

5 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: Upgrading from ePO 5.3.3 to 5.9.1 combatibility Version issue

Don't use the migrate function for a 5.x to other higher 5.x version.  You will need to either upgrade existing server, then restore from snapshot on new server, or restore from snapshot to existing version, then upgrade.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
RyanK
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Hi cdinet,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I actually read to do it this way from a post you made.

"One of the easiest ways is to do it all in one step. 

First, go through kb71825, clean out any old logs and any db\events\debug\* files and run the epip tool in the epoip folder in the install files for 5.10 to make sure you are ready to upgrade.  Run IIScrypto tool on the sql server and epo, choose best practices and then reboot.  You can google iiscrpto for the free download for it.

In the install files for 5.10 there is an upgrade compatibility folder.  Run upgradecompatibility.exe, and for the output file choose where you want to save the migrate.zip file and enter the epo admin account credentials.  This should be the default admin account or other global admin account that is using epo authentication rather than Windows authentication.

Then click on migrate and it will create the zip file.  Please be aware it will turn off epo services and possibly disable them.  Copy the zip file to the new server and then bring down the original server (turn it off).  You should then either rename the new server to the old, or reset the IP address to what the old is or have some dns alias set up so that the clients will be able to find the new server without having to reinstall agents. 

Then run the same upgradecompatibility.exe file and choose target and point it to where the zip file is located, then click migrate.  You would then run the setup for 5.10.  This migrates it and upgrades at the same time.  Be sure you have full backups of the original server files and database before doing anything."

This was in response to an update and migration from 5.3 to 5.10.

Would the plan be to do an in place update to 5.9.1 then install 5.9.1 from the snapshot on the new server?

Is there any documentation to hand to make and restore the snapshot?

Sorry to be a pain but I've not done that before so I just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks again

Ryan

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Yea, I was wrong on that post and couldn't find it again to correct it.  I talked with dev to see if it was supported, and they said no, do not do that.  So sorry!

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

RyanK
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Ah ok, that's fair enough.

Is there documentation for creating and restoring an EPO snapshot?

Thanks again

Ryan

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

The epo install guide has a section for restoring epo.  You can also look at KB87976.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator