cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g0nz0uk
Level 7

Upgrading ePO 5.3.2 to 5.9.x

Hello,

I've yet to research this, but I will ned to upgrade our ePo from 5.3.2 to 5.9.x soon.  Is it better to build a new Windows 2016 VM and install a fresh copy of ePO (latest version) and migrate the agents somehow?

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mcoffee
Level 9

Re: Upgrading ePO 5.3.2 to 5.9.x

I'm undertaking this exact project at the moment, I have five EPOs all running 5.3.2 across our estate so need to upgrade all of them before September when 5.3.2 goes EOL. The unfortunate addition is that all five currently use SQL Express and the databases are all growing to > 8GB so getting close to the 10GB limit, so as well as upgrading, I will be migrating the databases to a dedicated full SQL server. If this is the case for you also, I will share my project plan for the upgrade.

• Backup virtual server using Veeam (obviously you may be using a different application)
  • Backup database from SQL Management Studio
  • Move the .bak file to new dedicated SQL server
  • Restore database on new SQL server (seperating data and logs to seperate disks)
  • Re-configure the EPO application (localhost:8443/core/config-auth)
  • Check validation is successful
  • Make registry changes to remove Service Dependanices
  • Reboot EPO server
  • Upgrade EPO as an in-place upgrade

Reference was made to the following KB regarding the service dependancies due to SQL previously running from the EPO server itself (i.e. SQL Express).

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68427

Optional: Remove service dependencies
IMPORTANT: You need to perform this step only if the ePO database was previously hosted on the ePO server itself, meaning SQL Server was installed on the ePO server computer alongside ePO. If you moved the database from one remote SQL Server to another, you can safely ignore this step.

If the ePO database was hosted on the ePO server, ePO services have dependencies on the SQL Server services. These dependencies mean that you are unable to stop the SQL services or uninstall SQL without affecting ePO. You must remove the dependencies from the services by editing the registry:

CAUTION: This article contains information about opening or modifying the registry.

• The following information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
  • Before proceeding, Technical Support strongly recommends that you back up your registry and understand the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.
  • Do not run a REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.
  1. Click Start, Run, type regedit, and click OK.
  2. Navigate to each of the following registry keys and remove the dependencies using the following steps:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEEAPACHESRV
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEEEVENTPARSERSRV
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current ControlSet\Services\MCAFEETOMCATSRVXXX

(where XXX is the version of ePO)

1. Double-click the DependOnService value.
    2. From the value data, delete the line reading MSSQLServer.
    3. Click OK.

3. Restart the ePO Server computer
0 Kudos
g0nz0uk
Level 7

Thanks.

Can I do an inplace upgrade from 5.3.2 > 5.9.0 then on the same server?  Or is it best I build a new VM with Windows 2016 and 5.9.0?

We use full SQL and not Express and on a separate server.

0 Kudos
mcoffee
Level 9

As far a smy understanding, you can just download the installation files for 5.9.x, run it on the same server, it will then run you through the installation wizard to complete the upgrade and you just make sure you configure it to use an existing database Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
DocB
Level 11

g0nz0uk,

I did it on my existing server, like you I have a separate SQL server.  Run the pre-install tool and fix ALL problems before attempting the upgrade.  I'd also recommend going to 5.9.1 if you can.

HTH,

DocB

0 Kudos
g0nz0uk
Level 7

Is the pre-install tool a separate download?

0 Kudos
DocB
Level 11

g0nz0uk,

It's included in the installation zip, when you extract the zip it's in a subdirectory.  I'd strongly recommend you RTFM before the starting upgrade.

HTH,

DocB

Highlighted
g0nz0uk
Level 7

RTFM ha, had to lok that one up, but yes I will.

We are moving the DB first to a newer SQL server then will proceed to run this tool and have a read.

0 Kudos
g0nz0uk
Level 7

Ran that tool but I get this:

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Product Compatibility Check

These products are incompatible with this ePO version; they must be removed or upgraded before ePO setup can continue:

Anit-malware Reports 2.2.0.3650 (MSMREPORTS) - requires Anit-malware Reports 2.3.0.3800
Anti-malware 9.7.0.3651 (EPMANTIMALWARE) - requires Anti-malware 9.8.0.3801
Data Loss Prevention 9.3.600.5 (DATALOSS2000) - no known compatible version
ePO Deep Command Discovery and Reporting 2.3.0.376 (EPOAMTReports) - requires ePO Deep Command Discovery and Reporting 2.4.1.465
McAfee Anti-malware for Mac 2.2.0.131 (EPMGEN) - requires McAfee Anti-malware for Mac 2.3.0.132
Product Improvement Program 1.6.0.399 (TELEMTRY1000) - requires Product Improvement Program 2.1.0.431

ePO may be upgraded with the below products installed, but their management extension will be disabled and should be upgraded when ePO starts after setup:

No incompatible products were found

We don't use the products how do I remove?

0 Kudos
DocB
Level 11

Anit-malware Reports 2.2.0.3650 (MSMREPORTS) - requires Anit-malware Reports 2.3.0.3800

Remove extension if you don't use.
Anti-malware 9.7.0.3651 (EPMANTIMALWARE) - requires Anti-malware 9.8.0.3801

Data Loss Prevention 9.3.600.5 (DATALOSS2000) - no known compatible version

Remove extension if you don't use or update to later version before ePO upgrade.
ePO Deep Command Discovery and Reporting 2.3.0.376 (EPOAMTReports) - requires ePO Deep Command Discovery and Reporting 2.4.1.465

Remove extension, product no longer under support.
McAfee Anti-malware for Mac 2.2.0.131 (EPMGEN) - requires McAfee Anti-malware for Mac 2.3.0.132

Product Improvement Program 1.6.0.399 (TELEMTRY1000) - requires Product Improvement Program 2.1.0.431

Call support for correct version.

0 Kudos