Highlighted
Ulfat
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Upgrading Mcafee agent from 5.0 to 5.5 or 5.6

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have plan to upgrade Mcafee agent from 5.0 to 5.5 or 5.6 so currently Mcafee agent 5.0 and VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 are already installed in all our users.

I appreciate if you let me know the steps how to upgrade

Regards,

Ulfat Hussain

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Re: Upgrading Mcafee agent from 5.0 to 5.5 or 5.6

Jump to solution

Hi Ulfat,

You can happily send out the agent task you describe. 

What will happen when you do and the task arrives at a client is the Agent will detect itself, switch to upgrade mode and install the newer version for you. In that operation it will retain what MA (& other products) configuration you have and continue as normal.

Note to consider:
As no one estate or client device is perfect, I'd suggest you send out the upgrade task to small'ish manageable groups. In this way should any fail, for whatever reason, you can re-mediate as needed and then move on the next  small'ish group, and so on.

fyi:

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 Patch 12 Release Notes
Product Documentation ID: PD28074

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

The first thing to do is look at compatibility to ensure the versions of OS, VSE patch level, etc are supported in your environment.  KB51109 is the master article for supported environments for our products.  The agent also has a product and install guide that clearly shows how to install it and upgrade systems.  It should be tested first in your environment for any impacts, look for any known issues kb's and then if everything is good, you can then deploy it to your environment.  Once tested, it is as simple as setting up a client task assignment in epo to deploy the agent.  The epo product guide will also walk you through how to set up client tasks and deploy products.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Ulfat
Level 7
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

I have checked the Mcafee Virusscan 8.8  and Mcafee Agent 5.0.6.220 are up to date  and Virusscan has patch 12

All our user computers have windows 7 enterprise

so my question is, If I create new Task on Client Task Catalog > Product Deployment >Agent Deployment> Action > Install > Mcafee Agent 5.5

The above workaround task will upgrade Agent 5.0 to 5.5 without effecting the Mcafee Viruscan 8.8?

OR

First I uninstall Mcafee Virusscan through Deployment Task then do the upgrade

Your input is highly appreciated

Regards,

Ulfat Hussain

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi Ulfat,

You can happily send out the agent task you describe. 

What will happen when you do and the task arrives at a client is the Agent will detect itself, switch to upgrade mode and install the newer version for you. In that operation it will retain what MA (& other products) configuration you have and continue as normal.

Note to consider:
As no one estate or client device is perfect, I'd suggest you send out the upgrade task to small'ish manageable groups. In this way should any fail, for whatever reason, you can re-mediate as needed and then move on the next  small'ish group, and so on.

fyi:

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 Patch 12 Release Notes
Product Documentation ID: PD28074

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community