cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to ePO 5.10.0.2428 failed

Jump to solution

Hi,

We would like to upgrade our ePO from version ePO 5.3.3 (Build 279) to 5.10.0.2428 on a virtual Windows Server 2012 R2.

This failed with the following error message in the error.ini located in "C:\ProgramData\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\InstallLogs":

ErrorString=FAILURE: In LaunchApplication while trying to run the following program: ActionName=Prod_InstallEpoCore Task=Checking in epoST "C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp\McAfeeLogs\EPO5100-Troubleshoot\OutputFiles\epoST.bat" Return code: 1

The epoST.err located in "C:\ProgramData\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\InstallLogs\EPO5100-Troubleshoot\OutputFiles" contains the following messages:

Error encountered while running command:ext.install extension=file:///C:/PROGRA~2/McAfee/EPOLIC~1/INSTAL~1/ePO/EXTENS~2/epoST.zip java.io.IOException: Error 0 : The following error occurred while executing this line: C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\5.10.0.2428\install.xml:644: The following error occurred while executing this line: C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\5.10.0.2428\install.xml:167: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid object name 'EPOTaskTagsMT'.

We have also tried to upgrade to 5.9.1 but have exactly the same issue. Any help is much appreciated because the upgrade is really time related. Thanks a lot and best regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 7

Re: Upgrade to ePO 5.10.0.2428 failed

Jump to solution

Please get the output of this script:

select so.name from sys.objects so join sys.indexes si on si.object_id = so.object_id where si.name = 'APSN15_6'

The problem is that if there are custom indexes created anywhere else, we may end up playing whack-a-mole.  Upgrades fail with custom indexes and we always advise that if any are created, to remove them before any upgrade attempt.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

This error message indicates a failed rollback on a previous upgrade attempt -  Invalid object name 'EPOTaskTagsMT'.

The only solution for that is to do a disaster recovery for a time just before the very first upgrade attempt.  Once that is done, be sure to run the pre installation auditor tool and fix any issues.  In addition, run iiscrypto on the epo and sql servers, choose best practices and reboot to ensure tls/ciphers are supported and enabled.  You also want to check your version of sql to see if tls 1.2 is supported on it - some of the versions need patches to support that.  Make sure you also have all good backups of file system as well as database.

For an error like that, you can't just fix the table name that didn't rename properly, as there is no guarantee what else didn't roll back properly.  You can't trust the integrity of the database at that point.  If you happen to have the install logs from the very first attempt that failed, that would be helpful, but normally they get overwritten.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

We have done a full restore of the database and the server. After that we tried the upgrade again and received the following error:

[ErrorLog]
ErrorString=FAILURE: In LaunchApplication while trying to run the following program:
ActionName=Prod_InstallEpoCore
Task=Checking in epoST
"C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\McAfeeLogs\EPO5100-Troubleshoot\OutputFiles\epoST.bat"

Return code: 1

Error encountered while running command:ext.install extension=file:///C:/PROGRA~2/McAfee/EPOLIC~1/INSTAL~1/ePO/EXTENS~2/epoST.zip

java.io.IOException: Error 0 :
The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\5.10.0.2428\install.xml:650: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\5.10.0.2428\install.xml:219: java.sql.SQLException: The index 'APSN15_6' is dependent on column 'parentID'.

Thanks a lot and best regards

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

I am trying to find out where that index may reside.  Do you know if the dba has added any custom indexes?

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Please get the output of this script:

select so.name from sys.objects so join sys.indexes si on si.object_id = so.object_id where si.name = 'APSN15_6'

The problem is that if there are custom indexes created anywhere else, we may end up playing whack-a-mole.  Upgrades fail with custom indexes and we always advise that if any are created, to remove them before any upgrade attempt.

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot.

Our DBA has compared the indexes of our pre-production and production environment. After he has fixed them the upgrade works fine.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Good deal, glad it worked!

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community