cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpare
Level 8

Upgrade to ePO 5.1 failing with "FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait"...

Jump to solution

Our current environment consists of an ePO 4.0 server (on a VM running W2K3) that we use to manage all VSE 8.7 clients in an environment consisting of approximately 300 workstations/servers/laptops.  The database resides on a dedicated SQL server running 2008 (specifically, 10.50.4000.0).

We will be implementing HIPS and Application Control over the next several months, and in preparation for these additions, I've been working on upgrading our ePO server to 5.1

Prior to making changes to production, I set up a test environment to familiarize myself with the upgrade process.

So far:

• I successfully upgraded the existing server to ePO 4.0 Patch 7, to allow upgrade to ePO 4.6.6
  • Successfully upgraded to ePO 4.6.6
  • Followed KB71078 to migrate to 64bit platform:
    • Backed up existing DB and files according to KB article, powered off old VM
    • Set up new VM running Windows Server 2008 R2
    • Installed ePO 4.6.6 and followed instructions to migrate database and files over, and change the path names where needed.  Maintained same DB back-end.
    • All services started successfully, and I was able to manage/see my test workstations and they were updating in the console OK.
    • Double-checked logs for errors - none.
  • Followed KB79561 to purge events from tables (since I was getting the database size warning)
  • Removed incompatible extensions

Then I run the 5.1 upgrade and when it gets to the point of starting the new services, it "hangs" for a long time, then reports "Rolling back action", and the entire install backs out.

When I enabled debugging, I see the following error:

FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:
“C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\jre\bin\java.exe”

Return code: 1
Error message: Incorrect Function.

CustomAction: MerMod_StartCurrentServices

When I investigated the logs in %temp%, I see the same error.  It attempts this 45 times before rolling back.

Unfortunately, it seems like this error is somewhat common, and most of my searches have revealed that this occurs when upgrading/migrating prior revisions.  Either way, I've double-checked settings.  DB is in simple recovery mode.  I'm not seeing any errors on the SQL side.  I even re-tried the entire upgrade process without first importing upgraded packages into the repository.

I also tried the 'upgradecompatibility' method (exporting/importing file) and I get the same error.

I'm stumped!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpare
Level 8

Re: Upgrade to ePO 5.1 failing with "FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait"...

Jump to solution

So about a week ago I ended up contacting support, and learned that a resolution was recently issued:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78121

The tech and I went through the directions on the call and it works!  Problem resolved.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rackroyd
Level 16

Jump to solution

Debugging installer errors can become quite involved given the amount of work the installer has to achieve. This message may merely be a symptom rather than cause for example.

You may be best served by opening a support case here tbh.

0 Kudos
ulyses31
Level 16

Jump to solution

Hi Michael, as you have already upgraded ePO 4.0 to 4.6 I would propose something different.

As you now have the "transfer system" option you can install a fresh new ePO 5.1 to a new server then import the system tree from the old server,policies, tasks, policy assignments and task assignments and finally transfer computers from old epo server to new epo server (Before doing this you have to register the new epo server into the old one).

With this you may avoid any problems coming from previous epo version

0 Kudos
meforum
Level 10

Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

I got the same error yesterday when trying to migrate from 4.6.6 to 5.1 the same way you did (first moving 4.6.6 to new server, move db to new server, upgrade to 5.1).

Well - I do not excactly now if the error occures in LaunchAppAndWait - but I guess its the same (server 2008 r2, too).

Did you got any news?

I wonder if the 5.1 installer already migrated / converted the db?

0 Kudos
mpare
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yep, I strongly suspected that I'd need to open a support case.  Problem is that our parent company holds all the "keys" to be able to do this, but I have a contact that should be able to help me out with this.

I might try the "transfer system" method suggested above, in my test environment. 

meforum:  no new news.

I might also try to get a hold of the 5.0 install and see if that works.

0 Kudos
meforum
Level 10

Jump to solution

hi - any news on this issue? I still have it on one server and will try it again the following days ...

0 Kudos
mpare
Level 8

Jump to solution

Nope, unfortunately, no new news.  This sorta stalled over the holidays.  I'm going to try going from 4.6->5.0 then if that works, 5.0->5.1.  I'm not optimistic, but it is worth a shot.  Failing that, I will be opening an issue.

0 Kudos
mpare
Level 8

Jump to solution

So about a week ago I ended up contacting support, and learned that a resolution was recently issued:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78121

The tech and I went through the directions on the call and it works!  Problem resolved.

0 Kudos