Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geoseng
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 27

Upgrade to EPO 5.10

Jump to solution
I have a EPO 5.3.1 server running on Windows 2008. I want to upgrade my EPO to 5.10 on a new machine, running windows 2012R2 in Vmware environment. There are a numbers of EPO 5.10 guides, and I am not sure which are best for me to begin with. Appreciate help from the communities. Thanks in advance.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zsottl
Level 8
Message 10 of 27

Re: Upgrade to EPO 5.10

Jump to solution

I think that there are 2 best options:

1. Register new ePO 5.10 in old ePO and use Transfer Systems option - more in KB79283

2. Just build new ePO 5.10, import complete system tree, policy, tasks,... then just deploy agents to systems with option "Install only on systems that do not already have an agent managed by this McAfee ePO server" or "Force install".

26 Replies
Reliable Contributor vnaidu
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Jump to solution

@geoseng 

I would recommend you to follow KB71825, clean out any old logs and any db\events\debug\* files and run the epip tool in the epoip folder in the install files for 5.10 to make sure you are ready to upgrade. Run IIScrypto tool on the sql server and epo, choose best practices and then reboot. You can google iiscrpto for the free download for it.

In the install files for 5.10 there is an upgrade compatibility folder. Run upgradecompatibility.exe, and for the output file choose where you want to save the migrate.zip file and enter the epo admin account credentials. This should be the default admin account or other global admin account that is using epo authentication rather than Windows authentication.

Then click on migrate and it will create the zip file. Please be aware it will turn off epo services and possibly disable them. Copy the zip file to the new server and then bring down the original server (turn it off). You should then either rename the new server to the old, or reset the IP address to what the old is or have some DNS alias set up so that the clients will be able to find the new server without having to reinstall agents.

Then run the same upgradecompatibility.exe file and choose target and point it to where the zip file is located, then click migrate. You would then run the setup for 5.10. This migrates it and upgrades at the same time. Be sure you have full backups of the original server files and database before doing anything.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Venu
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Jump to solution

@geoseng 

you may also go through the installation guide PD25506. Refer to the section Migrating from a 32 bit to 64 bit platform. The advantage of using the migrate utility would help you retain all your systems, settings.

All you will need to do is that you will need to have the same IP and servername on the new machine.

You will need to ensure that DNS resolves the new machine with either so that clients will still be able to find the server.  Also, if the migration would happen to fail, you still have your existing server to bring back online.

Venu
geoseng
Level 9
Message 4 of 27

Jump to solution

Thank you, Vnaidu. 

Your suggestion to rename my new EPO server to be the same as old EPO server, is a great idea.
If I want to keep two epo servers for 1 to 2 months.

When things are going fine on new EPO server, then I down the old server. Can i do it?

Meanwhile, allow me to go though the KB articles you recommend.

Have a great day!

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Jump to solution

@geoseng 

If you have two servers with the same name and IP address, this could definitely create a mess. So if you want to keep both active, then it is not possible. Please keep in mind that if ePO A is active, makesure you shutdown ePO B vice versa, so that it would not create any issues, because with same IP and hostname it is not possible to have both active. If A is active, then B should be inactive and if B is active, then A should be inactive.

I hope this helps.

Let me know in case of any further questions.

Venu
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 27

Jump to solution

@geoseng Generally we use the same name for the new ePO server. However, if you would like to keep the old ePO active, then I wish you could go for a different name on the new Server as long as you need it. No problems in that case.

Venu
geoseng
Level 9
Message 7 of 27

Jump to solution

Hi, Vnaidu

My current EPO server is in the windows domain. If I need to change the name and IP address of the
new EPO server, then I cannot put it in the windows domain.

If the EPO server is not in Widnows domain, do I need to worry anything else? For exmaple, Mcafee agent installation folder (\\eposerver\0409\framepkg.exe) need to be accessible by EPO clients. 

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Jump to solution

@geoseng 

I understand that you are planning to keep the new Server active as well. If this is the case, you must assign a similar name but not the same as the old one and host the server on the same name. You may exchange the private and public keys and then move the machines thereafter without having any issues. Because I had this issue a couple years ago and I built a new one and exchanged the keys and moved the machines from old to new without having any issues. So I would suggest you to assign a new name rather than using the existing name.

I hope this helps with a resolution.

Venu
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Jump to solution

@geoseng As @zsottl mentioned, you can use his suggestion too. However, I understand that you would like to have both the servers up and running, so I hope you choose the right one.

Let me know if the information shared by me was helpful in reaching a right conclusion.

Venu
zsottl
Level 8
Message 10 of 27

Jump to solution

I think that there are 2 best options:

1. Register new ePO 5.10 in old ePO and use Transfer Systems option - more in KB79283

2. Just build new ePO 5.10, import complete system tree, policy, tasks,... then just deploy agents to systems with option "Install only on systems that do not already have an agent managed by this McAfee ePO server" or "Force install".

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community