cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Epo 4.6 to 5.3

Jump to solution

Hello,

i'm working on an old installation and i discovered that my Orchestrator should be upgaded. Now our server has EPO 4.6 and this is my problem: in my software i see that the oldest possible version is 5.3 but, according with the installation guide, i can't upgrade from 4.6 to 5.3. So, i'm new with McAfee and need an advice: is it possible to pass from 4.6 to 4.8 (or 5.0) and then to 5.3? And, if yes, how can i obtain one of those version?

Since i've no complex settings or policies, another solution could be to install a new EPO, do you think it's a good idea? Can i use the same license or do i need a new one?

Thank you in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: Upgrade from Epo 4.6 to 5.3

Jump to solution

The license key for your grant number, as long as it is active and not expired, can be used with any epo servers you set up, regardless of the version. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

ePO 5.3 is going end of life 3/31/2019.  Since you don't have a complex environment, I would recommend taking note of your settings that you do have and want to retain, then install 5.9.1 fresh.  You would need to upgrade product extensions from what you are using now, and in some cases, would most likely need to upgrade the clients also, but most extensions are backwards compatible. 

There are things you need to be concerned about, however.  KB51569 is the supported environments kb for epo.  You need to make sure your version of sql and operating systems are supported on that version.  I would hold off on installing epo 5.10 until there are a couple of issues sorted out. 

I would also highly recommend downloading the latest pre-installation auditor tool to verify your epo and sql servers are ready for that version of epo.  5.3.3 and 5.9.1 have some RSA cipher suite and TLS protocol requirements that must be met.  Please get familiar with the install guide for 5.9 and what the pre-installation auditor tool shows you as necessary steps to take before installing or upgrading anything.

In my opinion, if you have a choice between upgrading from such a lower version to a fresh install, the fresh install would be better option so as not to possibly bring along legacy components from prevous upgrades.  You have a clean, fresh environment and can set it up as you like.  It will require redeploying agents, however.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer, i think i'll go on with the fresh installation of 5.9. I've just a last question: do I need a new license? In my actual Epo i see 5.9 update under "software": does it mean that i can use my license to download and install it? Unfortunately i'm working in a new company and nobody knows how to check this information with the mcafee reseller.

Thanks

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

The license key for your grant number, as long as it is active and not expired, can be used with any epo servers you set up, regardless of the version. 

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Hello again and thank you for your adivices,

i finelly installed ePo 5.9 in place of 4.6 but now i've a problem with the agent. I added a test machine and deployed the agent (5.5): ok. Unfortunately i can't do anything more than this:

1) the machine is "managed" in system tree but i can't wake up agent

2) i wanted to deploy virusscan enterprise but it's not in my agent menu (see screenshot)

Cattura1.JPGCan someone help me troubleshoot this kind of problem? I noticed that in my client machine the ePo server is wrongly configured: the name is ok but the IP address isn't; how did it come? is there a way to fix it? 

Thank you in advance

EDIT: i switched off windows firewall and now i can wake up the agent. The problem with products deployment remains 

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center