cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
web1b
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Upgrade ePO 5.3.3 to 5.10 in place vs migrate to new server?

Jump to solution

We are using 5.3.3 with SQL Express 2012 on Server 2012 R2

We want to migrate to the latest ePO 5.10 and lastest supported version of SQL Express.

We can either upgrade in place from ePO 5.3.3 to 5.10 or we can build an all new server with Server 2016 and SQL Express 2017 and then migrate our configuration, policies and clients to the new server.

Which method is recommended?

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

Re: Upgrade ePO 5.3.3 to 5.10 in place vs migrate to new server?

Jump to solution

You can also use the migrate option to move your existing server to a new one.  PD25506 (install guide for epo), starting on page 46 has instructions for that.  The section heading says "migrating from a 32-bit to a 64-bit platform", but any reason to migrate is valid, such as new os, etc.  The advantage of using the migrate utility is that you retain all your systems, settings, etc.  You just have to keep either IP or servername the same and ensure dns resolves to the new server with either so that clients will still be able to find the server.  Also, if the migration would happen to fail, you still have your existing server to bring back online.

As for 5.10 being unsable, I wouldn't classify it as that.  It has a lot of benefits over other versions due to additional features it offers.  As long as you have the latest update 2 and hotfixes, you should be fine with it.

Upgrading in place also has its advantages, such as reduced cost of another server and retaining all clients, settings, etc.  The disadvantages would be if it fails, you have more down time restoring it if a recovery is needed.  Also, you don't have the advantage of a newer OS and sql version.  It is not recommended to upgrade the OS on an existing server.  If you do, we recommend backing everything up, remove epo, upgrade the os, then restore epo. 

So ultimately the choice is yours, weighing all the pros and cons.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

I am not sure about the migration process on AWS.  In that case, your best bet would be to set up a new server, then transfer systems to the new server. 

If you do that, I would also suggest upgrading your existing server.  The reason being is that if you want to import policies and tasks, we recommend the version of epo is the same, as well as the extension versions.  Importing policies to different versions of epo can possibly cause some corruption with the different schema versions of epo server.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

4 Replies

Jump to solution

If you can afford a second server this method will probably be better. My main argument would be this way you can save yourself some stress shouold the upgrade go wrong, as you old server will be unaffected by it. Also, I believe the 5.10 version is still being considered to be less stable then the 5.9.1, so better be ready for surprises 🙂

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

You can also use the migrate option to move your existing server to a new one.  PD25506 (install guide for epo), starting on page 46 has instructions for that.  The section heading says "migrating from a 32-bit to a 64-bit platform", but any reason to migrate is valid, such as new os, etc.  The advantage of using the migrate utility is that you retain all your systems, settings, etc.  You just have to keep either IP or servername the same and ensure dns resolves to the new server with either so that clients will still be able to find the server.  Also, if the migration would happen to fail, you still have your existing server to bring back online.

As for 5.10 being unsable, I wouldn't classify it as that.  It has a lot of benefits over other versions due to additional features it offers.  As long as you have the latest update 2 and hotfixes, you should be fine with it.

Upgrading in place also has its advantages, such as reduced cost of another server and retaining all clients, settings, etc.  The disadvantages would be if it fails, you have more down time restoring it if a recovery is needed.  Also, you don't have the advantage of a newer OS and sql version.  It is not recommended to upgrade the OS on an existing server.  If you do, we recommend backing everything up, remove epo, upgrade the os, then restore epo. 

So ultimately the choice is yours, weighing all the pros and cons.

Was my reply helpful?

web1b
Level 7
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Is it also possible to migrate from 5.33 to ePO 5.10 in AWS?

If we move ePO to AWS, we will not be able to keep the same IP address or server name since AWS has a different IP range and our servers are name based on their location.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

I am not sure about the migration process on AWS.  In that case, your best bet would be to set up a new server, then transfer systems to the new server. 

If you do that, I would also suggest upgrading your existing server.  The reason being is that if you want to import policies and tasks, we recommend the version of epo is the same, as well as the extension versions.  Importing policies to different versions of epo can possibly cause some corruption with the different schema versions of epo server.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator