Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pinard
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Upgrade OS on host running ePO console

Jump to solution
Hi We want to upgrade the OS of the server that is hosting ePO console. We are actually running ePO 5.10 update 3 on a 2008 R2 server. We don't have any agent handler. We are plannig to restore McAfee ePO from the snapshot stored in a McAfee ePO database on a fresh installed Windows 2019 server using this procedure. https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/epolicy-orchestrator-5.10.0-installation-guide/page/GUID-C9561397-EA3... Is this a good way to do so? Note that managed system are actually using the server FQDN name to reache the console (serveur1.mydomain.com) . Step 14 of the procedure suggest to create a CNAME to point the old server name to the new server. We think that we should already create a CNAME more generic like epo.mydomain.com before the upgrade and make sure that managed systemes use the CNAME. Is it recommanded? Is there a procedure to make that change? Regards Dominic
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Re: Upgrade OS on host running ePO console

Jump to solution

That is correct, but also make sure dns has that alias or cname.  If all your agents have communicated since you made the change, they should have gotten the change.  Even if they don't, if dns is updated (and even if it is not), then the agents will try all 3 methods to connect -fqdn, netbios and IP.  So if IP isn't changing, there should be no problem.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Yes, using that method is a good way to migrate your epo to a new OS.  As for creating a cname, that is in your dns config and whatever you create is up to you.  Once you do that and validate that it is working and resolving, you can temporarily add that as a published dns name in your epo agent handler section for the epo server.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
Pinard
Level 8
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Just to make sure, all our clients reache ePO from internal network using private IP so I just have to specify the CNAME in the published dns name in order to make the agent contact ePO using the CNAME? I don't have to specify the IP adresse since it would be the same?

Also, I guest the published dns name will be updated in the agent configuration on there next agent/server communication, is that it? Is there a way to make sure every agent has been updated?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

That is correct, but also make sure dns has that alias or cname.  If all your agents have communicated since you made the change, they should have gotten the change.  Even if they don't, if dns is updated (and even if it is not), then the agents will try all 3 methods to connect -fqdn, netbios and IP.  So if IP isn't changing, there should be no problem.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community