cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Updating multiple Dat files possible?

Hi,

We have about 500 PC's that use McAfee 8.0 to 8.7i (soon to all be 8.7i), what I have noticed is the 100mb sdat file is manually downloaded from McAfee's website by an admin to a folder share and silently installed by a logon script, it works but difficult to manage and high on bandwidth when pushed out.

I was wondering is ePolicy the tool for me to update users dat file and if so are they just incremental files?

I really just want a tool to do this job only, but McAfee do many tools and I'm confused as to which one is right for me.

Thanks
8 Replies

RE: Updating multiple Dat files possible?

With this range of computer you should use an ePO server for their policy and task management but of you only want it for DAt download you can use the Mirroring task of one of these computers and then the rest of cmputers can update from this one. These updates will be incremental

Thanks, is the mirroring task in the ePO server?

You don't need an ePO server for mirroring, if you open any VirusScan console you can create this task but if you really want an ePO server then it uses its own repository for distributing dats

Are either tasks easy to set up? I have just download ePO and SP4, if ePo is easy to setup I will go that route, how would I tell all the PC's to point to this server?

Once you have installed your ePO server you need to deploy an agent to very machine you want to manage

I have to say no, ePO is not easy to deploy. We hired a firm to come in and deploy EPO for HIPS to satisfy PCI requirements. Long story short he quit his job after the install and I've been trying to get the server functional for the past 4 months. There's nothing easy about ePO IMO. I'm getting there, slowly. It's been one problem after another. It will be very nice once it's running as designed though.

Hi,
installing is no problem, but be sure to check the VSE policies before you Rollout an Agent.

Configure HIP (Firewall) costs the most time of all ....
You need really time to figure out what u want with it ^^
Ive got a lot of fun with the Application Blocking ^^
At the moment we got it deactivated happy

When our hired gun deployed HIPS he deployed it fully activated. Our entire operations stopped dead in their tracks. :eek: Thankfully we were able to back it out rather quickly. That was not a fun day.

I'm probably the exception here. This ePO deployment has just been a series of running into one problem right after another. Two steps forward, one step back.

Having to do it all over again it would probably go smoothly now that I know how to fix so many of the problems I ran into. happy
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community