cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating PUP list via script or API

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to update the PUP list via script or via the API? I haven't been able to find the answer in the scripting documentation.

Thx

6 Replies
McAfee Employee johma
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Updating PUP list via script or API

HI Jezkerwin,

Please can you confirm what "PUP" list you are trying to update and where you see this list?

You can view the list of PUPs that are included in the DATs ( this is where the list of "Drivers" resides ) but this is not something that you can change if this is the component you are referring to.

Can you provide any further details?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Im referring to the custom PUP lists where I can manually add my own entries of files I want to block. I think its in the on access scan policies.

McAfee Employee johma
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

HI Jezkerwin,
OK, no its not possible to update the lists as these are built into the daily DATs. 

If you want to specify a file to be detected and deleted as a "custom" detection then you need to add the filename to the OAS PUP policy. 

For:
VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 > Unwanted Programs Policies > My Default <Or your Policy>
Click "User Defined Items", Add, Enter Filename and a Description, OK, SAVE.

Endpoint Security Threat Prevention : Policy Category > Options > My Default <Or your Policy>
Potentially Unwanted Program Detections, Add, Enter Filename and a Description, OK, SAVE.

* This will detect and delete any file with the same name as entered in the policy. You cannot specify wildcards and is explicit.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

You can assign policies via api, but not modify them to add exclusions or other custom pup definitions.  That needs to be done in the console in the policy itself.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

If I can't modify an existing policy to add an additional entry to the pup list, could I enumerate the existing one and then import a new policy with the updated list and then assign that, or are you saying that policy creation is not allowed via the API at all?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

How specifically do you mean enumerate the existing one?  We don't support manual modifications to a policy xml file.  The only thing you can do is import, export and assign policies.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community