Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magi
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Update priority of Peer-to-Peer update feature present in MA 5.0

Can anyone help me to understand when will McAfee agent look to download the updates from its peers when peer-to-peer communication is enable in MA 5.0, is their any priority followed.

6 Replies
Reliable Contributor Troja
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Update priority of Peer-to-Peer update feature present in MA 5.0

Hi,

from my point of understanding this happens if the Agent is not able to reach the Repository or EPO/Agent Handler.

You can check this with a TCPDump.

Cheers

Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

It appears that the agent will first try p2p and then fall back to SA or the main repository for updates.

Product Guide McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.0 Software

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/25000/PD25504/en_US/...

Page 145

If a McAfee Agent can't find the content update among its peers in the broadcast domain, it falls back to the repository, as configured in the policy.

andrep1
Level 14
Message 4 of 7

I had that discussion with professional services and it is p2p then fall back to the repo list that applies to the agent.

P2P can work  pretty well as long as devices do not go for updates at the same time, in other words time randomization on a task is key to ensure at least one device is caching the file locally.

magi
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

I had created a query to pull the details about from where the MA are pulling the updates and i found it is pulling the updates from ePO server only even after enabling peer-to-peer option in agent policy, i have also scheduled the DAT update tasks with 10 min randomization.

Please let me know if their any queries in ePO to pull the detail of agent updated from its peers(peer to peer update).

Thanks in advance.

andrep1
Level 14
Message 6 of 7

I think it might show like that when using p2p.  You can query of result type "agent statistics information" and it will give you aggregate information of p2p usage. Be warned they are not very useful queries but will show you evidence if it is being used or not.

In order to populate this date, you need to create a client agent task of type McAfee agent, McAfee agent statistics and run it periodically.

Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Product Guide McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.0 Software

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 25000/PD25504/en_US...

Page 146

Run the McAfee Agent Statistics client task on the managed nodes to collect RelayServer statistics and network bandwidth saved by Peer-to-Peer communication and SuperAgent hierarchy.