cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krit
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Update Tool for ePO 5.10 Update 2 fails with an SidebySide (79) windows event error

Jump to solution

Dear all,

As implied by the title, the ePO Updater tool fails with the following error:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

The ePO is of version 5.10.0.2428, running on a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Evaluation environment ( lab ), which is a VM running through VMWare workstation.

The database is on the same VM. ( SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1 v. 13.0.4001 )

The relevant log in event viewer includes the following

"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\ePO_5.10.0_Update_2\ePOUpdater.exe". The setting http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2011/WindowsSettings^disableWindowFiltering is not registered."

On a simple check over the internet, I could not observe a satisfying solution to this issue, although it is reported several times:

- https://forums.techguy.org/threads/side-by-side-configuation-is-incorrect-autoelevate.967826/

- https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2bto51/side_by_side_configuration_error_has_me_stumped...

- https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/11339

Currently, I am trying to implement the troubleshooting described here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/6gajcs/fix_for_activation_context_generation_failed_th...

without success until now.

I need this update to fix the issue described in KB90876

Any suggestion to this would be welcome.

Thank you.

krit

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
krit
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

Re: Update Tool for ePO 5.10 Update 2 fails with an SidebySide (79) windows event error

Jump to solution

Dear all,

Thank you for the suggestions and overall support. The issue wasn't resolved on that particular VM, thus I created a new one and installed ePO 5.10 from scratch.

This time the installation of Update 2 was successful.

Regards

9 Replies
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Re: Update Tool for ePO 5.10 Update 2 fails with an SidebySide (79) windows event error

Jump to solution

Hi krit,

The 'issue' would appear to be with the host itself rather then the update.

Question for you;
If you look at the registry, specifically this key:

• [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SMI\WinSxS Settings\amd64_microsoft-windows-settings_31bf3856ad364e35_none_5e7b0013834d1c8b\10.0.14393.0\Settings]

What do you have here?

From a 'working' system in the lab I have:

(default)               REG_SZ        (value not set)
autoElevate         REG_SZ        xsd:string
disableTheming  REG_SZ        xsd:string
dpiAware             REG_SZ        xsd:string

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

krit
Level 10
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello Hawkmoon,

Thank you for the reply.

Already checked that parameter in the registry, according to the references that I provided.

The value is the same also in my lab.

Regards,

krit

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update!

I think were going to needmore detail from teh process at run time to see what it is unhappy with.(potentially at a deeper level then the app logs give indication for)

Can you use the sxstrace.exe tool and 'replicate' the matter saving the output to a log file?

From a CMD prompt; example:

• SxsTrace Parse -logfile:SxsTrace.etl -outfile:SxsTrace.txt

Might be worth doing this from an admin prompt to remove any possible restriction/limitaiton applied to none admin interface.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

krit
Level 10
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

I ve run the sxstrace trace and parse commands  and here is the output:

=================
Begin Activation Context Generation.
Input Parameter:
Flags = 0
ProcessorArchitecture = AMD64
CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
ManifestPath = C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\ePO_5.10.0_Update_2\ePOUpdater.exe
AssemblyDirectory = C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\ePO_5.10.0_Update_2\
Application Config File =
-----------------
INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\ePO_5.10.0_Update_2\ePOUpdater.exe.
INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
INFO: Reference: Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="*",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="Win32",version="6.0.0.0"
ERROR: The setting http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2011/WindowsSettings^disableWindowFiltering is not registered.
ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
End Activation Context Generation.

I ve also opened a relevant thread in MS community. It seems like the issue lies in this "disableWindowFiltering" element.

Regards,

krit

krit
Level 10
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Dear all,

After further troubleshooting with the process monitor tool, I have narrowed the "no success" procmon logs to the 4 below:

1) High Resolution Date & Time:    2/25/2019 4:24:15.6928170 PM
Event Class:    File System
Operation:    QuerySecurityFile
Result:    BUFFER OVERFLOW
Path:    C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\ePO_5100_Update_2\ePOUpdater.exe
TID:    1668
Duration:    0.0000103
Information:    Label

2) High Resolution Date & Time:    2/25/2019 4:24:15.6936843 PM
Operation:    CreateFile
Result:    NAME NOT FOUND
Path:    C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\ePO_5100_Update_2\ePOUpdater.exe:Zone.Identifier
Duration:    0.0000220
Desired Access:    Read Attributes
Disposition:    Open
Options:    Open Reparse Point
Attributes:    n/a
ShareMode:    Read, Write, Delete
AllocationSize:    n/a

3) High Resolution Date & Time:    2/25/2019 4:24:15.7007477 PM
Operation:    CreateFileMapping
Result:    FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS
Path:    C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\ePO_5100_Update_2\ePOUpdater.exe
Duration:    0.0000025
SyncType:    SyncTypeCreateSection
PageProtection:    PAGE_EXECUTE|PAGE_NOCACHE

4) High Resolution Date & Time:    2/25/2019 4:24:15.8228155 PM
Operation:    CreateFile
Result:    NAME NOT FOUND
Path:    C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\ePO_5100_Update_2\ePOUpdater.exe.Config
TID:    1636
Duration:    0.0000214
Desired Access:    Generic Read
Disposition:    Open
Options:    Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File
Attributes:    n/a
ShareMode:    Read, Delete
AllocationSize:    n/a
Impersonating:    WIN16NOV\Administrator

Now, I am in the process of searching the meaning of the bold above. For example, for "file locked with only readers" i find that "Indicates that a file or file mapping was locked and that all users of the file can only read from it.". Any idea of the meaning of these?

Moreover, I would like you to confirm that the ePO 5.10.0 Update 2 installation package .zip of December 11, 2018 file is functioning and/or does not miss any files, plus if there are any additional requirements to those mentioned in the package release notes ( e.g. an MS Visual C ++ redistributable package of certain year and version ).

Regards,

krit

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

I found your original post, which MS recommended installing the latest c++.

"The link in your initial post was resolved by applying C++ 2005 SP1. Here is the MS link to the latest versions. Does anything need updated on your server? 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads"

From the epo 5.10 install guide, here is what it requires:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64 and x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package (x64 and x86)

MSXML 3.0 and 6.0

Was my reply helpful?

krit
Level 10
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello,

"From the epo 5.10 install guide, here is what it requires:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64 and x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package (x64 and x86)

MSXML 3.0 and 6.0"

All the above have been installed, yet the issue remains.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Do you have a ticket open yet with McAfee?  If so, please send me the case number in private message.  If you don't, please open one and let me know the case number.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
krit
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Dear all,

Thank you for the suggestions and overall support. The issue wasn't resolved on that particular VM, thus I created a new one and installed ePO 5.10 from scratch.

This time the installation of Update 2 was successful.

Regards

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community