Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
web1b
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

Update SQL Express for ePO Upgrade?

In preparation for the upgrade, we updated SQL Express from 2005 to 2012, however even though SQL Express Management  Studio is now upgraded to version 2012, it appears that the ePO database running in it is still in 2005 format.  How do we update the ePO  database for ePO 5.1 support?

14 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 15

Re: Update SQL Express for ePO Upgrade?

I apologize but not clear about the question. You mean that you had SQL 2005 and upgraded to SQL 2012. Thereafter you installed ePO 5.1 which created ePO database and running in SQL 2005 format. I believe, you are talking about MODE 90 (SQL 2005 compatible). Are you facing any issue with ePO if running in MODE 90?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
web1b
Level 7
Message 3 of 15

We still have ePO 4.6.9. We are preparing to upgrade to  ePO 5.1 which is not compatible with SQL 2005. 

I have installed SQL2012 Management Studio Express and the database is running in the new software, but the ePO database is still in the 2005 SP4 format.

I need to know how to upgrade the ePO database to 2012 format.

After we upgrade the database, we will go forward with updating ePO from 4.6.9 to 5.1

McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 15

hmm. You can simply change the compatibility mode to MODE 100.

It's documented in ePO 5.x upgrade checklist #:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76739

Ensure the Compatibility level is set to 100 or higher for the ePO database

1. Click Start, Programs, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Management Studio.
  2. Right-click the ePO database and select Properties.
  3. Click Options and ensure Compatibility level is set to 100 rather than 80 or 90. If it is not, select 100 from the Compatibility level drop-down list and click OK.
Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
web1b
Level 7
Message 5 of 15

There is no option to change it to 100.

2005database.JPG2005sql.JPG

Highlighted
mmcgary
Level 12
Message 6 of 15

Just backup your database, detach database, uninstall all SQL entries, reinstall SQL 2012 with same port and instance and Management Studio, restore database and you're done.

web1b
Level 7
Message 7 of 15

"Just?"  That's a lot of steps I don't have directions for.

Can we just upgrade the ePO database fro 2005 to 2012 via the GUI?

sql upgrade.JPG

mmcgary
Level 12
Message 8 of 15

The database must be restored into the 2012 version which upgrades the database. SQL Management Studio is just a GUI for SQL not SQL itself but you will need the matching version of SQL Management Studio for the version of SQL. When going from EPO 4.x to 5.x I always backup the database and uninstall/install everything fresh and restore the db to make things easier. EPO 5.x will check for unsupported versions of SQL that are still on the system and this can cause unnecessary troubleshooting.

McAfee KnowledgeBase - How to back up and restore the ePolicy Orchestrator database using SQL Server...

web1b
Level 7
Message 9 of 15

We are not updating ePO yet, but I just want to get the database ready for the eventual upgrade to 5.1.

Are saying that backing up and restoring the same database into SQL Management Studio will automatically change the database format from 2005 to 2012 when it's restored?

Will any customizations previously made in the Management Studio Express or the assigned user permissions to the database need to be redone after restoring?

mmcgary
Level 12
Message 10 of 15

Yes when you restore it into a 2012 instance the database becomes a 2012 database and compatible with EPO 5.x. You should not need to make any changes after restoring.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community