cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
web1b
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

Update SQL Express 2012 to SQL Express 2017 During ePO Upgrade?

Jump to solution

We are going to upgrade our ePO 5.3.3  to 5.10 and also migrate to a new domain.

We use SQL Express 2012 on Server 2008 R2.

The plan is to build a new ePO 5.3.3 server on Server 2019 and restore the database there.

Can we install SQL Express 2017 before restoring the database or do we have to restore the database to the same verison of SQL Express and then upgrade the database to SQL Express 2017, install ePO 5.3.3, import the policies, upgrade to 5.10 and then migrate the systems to the new server?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Re: Update SQL Express 2012 to SQL Express 2017 During ePO Upgrade?

Jump to solution

Please refer to KB51569 - supported environments for epo.

5.3.3 does not support sql 2017, nor is it supported on server 2019.  ePO 5.10 is, supported with those versions. 

ePO 5.10 is supported on 2008 r2 as long as sp1 or highter is installed, and it is supported with sql 2012.

My recommendation would be this - upgrade your existing server to 5.10, then use the snapshot recovery (epo install guide has instructions) to move it over to the new server with higher sql version.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes, using the same IP address will help.  You can also set up an agent handler that your laptops would have access to so if they can't get to epo at least they can get to the agent handler.  You might want to set that up in the new domain so you don't have to migrate that one either. 

The agent product guide shows how you can update a client's sitelist, but it is a manual process on each system.  You would find that under changing an unmanaged system to managed.  The steps are the same for pointing it to a different server.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

10 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Please refer to KB51569 - supported environments for epo.

5.3.3 does not support sql 2017, nor is it supported on server 2019.  ePO 5.10 is, supported with those versions. 

ePO 5.10 is supported on 2008 r2 as long as sp1 or highter is installed, and it is supported with sql 2012.

My recommendation would be this - upgrade your existing server to 5.10, then use the snapshot recovery (epo install guide has instructions) to move it over to the new server with higher sql version.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
web1b
Level 7
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

Does snapshot recovery support moving to a server with a different name, domain and IP address?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes, it does.  However, you will need to do some serious dns redirection to point clients to the new servername, or re-deploy agents. 

Was my reply helpful?

web1b
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

If we know what the new server name is going to be before deployment, can we add something to the old 5.33 server that let the agents know to also check for the new 5.10 server name?

I don't think we will deploy the new server for a few weeks, but I want the existing clients to know the alternate server name in advance so they can find the new server without DNS redirection when it goes online.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes, but once you do that, they won't be able to find the old existing server.  Also, you would need time for all your systems to get that change.

In the agent handler section, you can edit the epo server and add the new server published dns and IP address there.  So basically, timing would be an issue where there is a period they can't talk to the old and not the new either because it isn't up yet.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

If the bulk of your systems are communicating regularly, then that would not be too much of a problem, as you would only need possibly a day for that to happen.

Was my reply helpful?

web1b
Level 7
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

It won't be a problem for our desktop PCs, but we have laptops that may not communicate with ePO for a few weeks at time.

I thought there was some kind of sitelist files we could prepublish now so that clients can look for more than one ePO server and connect to whichever responds.  That way, when we switch to the new server, as long as the client had communicated at any time since that file was published, it would be able to use the new server after the old one has been turned off.

The new ePO will have a new host name and domain, but we may be able to use the same IP address as the old server.

Will reusing the same IP address help?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes, using the same IP address will help.  You can also set up an agent handler that your laptops would have access to so if they can't get to epo at least they can get to the agent handler.  You might want to set that up in the new domain so you don't have to migrate that one either. 

The agent product guide shows how you can update a client's sitelist, but it is a manual process on each system.  You would find that under changing an unmanaged system to managed.  The steps are the same for pointing it to a different server.

Was my reply helpful?

web1b
Level 7
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Doesn’t snapshot recovery require full SQL Server?

What options are available to to do the migration to the new server using only SQL Express?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community