cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Uninstalling Agent 4.5.0.1929 and VSE

Hi, I need to completely remove McAfee from about 2000 endpoints. We are using ePO 5.1.1, Agent 4.5.0.1929, and VSE 8.8.0.975.Wrk. 

I'm not a McAfee expert and just inhertited end point protection and this envirionment. I'm guessing I need to remove VSE first, but don't see how to do that via a client task, unless I'm missing it? Then uninstalling the Agent seems pretty straightforward by just deleting them from the system tree and selecting the option to uninstall on next check in. 

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Uninstalling Agent 4.5.0.1929 and VSE

VSE can be removed via a client task in epo if you have the install package checked into the master repository.  You would then create an agent deployment task and choose VSE as the product, then choose uninstall instead of install for the action.  It doesn't matter if you have a higher patch level of the product checked in for VSE, it will still remove it.

Deleting the system from epo and choosing remove agent does not actually uninstall the agent, it only takes it out of managed mode.

Have you tried upgrading the products rather than remove them?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Thanks, this is really helpful! We did consider upgrading McAfee and went through the demos, but ulitimately decided another product was the better fit for our envirionment.

It doesn't appear that I have the install package for VSE checked into our master repository? Do you have suggestions where I can find it?

Also, if selecting remove agent doesn't actually uninstall it, what's the process for doing that? From what I've read you can't create a client task to do that. I guess we can uninstall via other means if it's not managed any longer. 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

If you go to software manager in epo (or the main McAfee download page), you should find the VSE installer there to check in.

As for removing the agent once VSE is removed via epo task, you can maybe script that out as a login script, sccm, or other 3rd party method.  The agent product guide (you can use the one for 4.8) has command line instructions for removing the agent.  I would use frminst /forceuninstall as the best option, but you would need to change directory to where frminst is located in the install dir for the agent.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?