Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gt_speedy
Level 7

Uninstall McAfee Agent 5.0.3 Enterprise from Windows 10, when unable to upgrade

Jump to solution

Hello,

The computer I'm using had a McAfee VirusScan Enterprise installed on it. A Windows update required to be removed, so I uninstalled everything I could. However, I cannot uninstall McAfee Agent 5.0.3.

Programs and features says it can't be removed while in Managed Mode, and frminst.exe doesn't work on this version of Windows.

I've seen in other questions that I'm supposed to upgrade to Agent 5.0.5 in order to uninstall, however the person who bought VSE has now left the company and no one can find what grant number they used. Therefore I cannot download an upgrade to agent 5.0.5.

Due to this, Windows can't update.

Is there something else I can do to get out of this deadlock?

Thanks for any advice offered.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
frank_enser
Level 12

Re: Uninstall McAfee Agent 5.0.3 Enterprise from Windows 10, when unable to upgrade

Jump to solution

Ah sorry, try this to switch the agent to unmanaged mode:

"C:\Program Files\ McAfee\Agent\maconfig.exe" -provision -unmanaged

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Uninstall McAfee Agent 5.0.3 Enterprise from Windows 10, when unable to upgrade

Jump to solution

Moved to Virusscan Enterprise forum someone there should be able to help you

frank_enser
Level 12

Jump to solution

Hi,

as Administrator from CMD:

"C:\Program Files\McAfee\Agent\x86\FrmInst.exe" /forceuninstall

Regards,

Frank

0 Kudos
gt_speedy
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

As I said in the original message, that fails because frminst.exe "is not compatible with this version of windows".

0 Kudos
frank_enser
Level 12

Jump to solution

Ah sorry, try this to switch the agent to unmanaged mode:

"C:\Program Files\ McAfee\Agent\maconfig.exe" -provision -unmanaged

gt_speedy
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you so much! That worked.

0 Kudos
JohnM1
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem and I ran the "maconfig.exe -provision -unmanaged" which completed successfully.  But then it doesn't get me anywhere?

I then try uninstalling the software from both Comand line (using /forceuninstall or /remove=agent) or Control Panel and neither works.  Both say that "This app can't run on this PC - McAfee Agent 5 won't run on this version of Windows".

Any suggestions anyone - much appreciated as I'm going round in circles and Windows is desparate to update but can't because of this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Please see KB51573 to ensure you have a supported version of the agent for your build of Windows 10.  Some of the later versions are not compatible with ma 5.0.3.  So if you are running an agent that is not compatible, upgrading the agent should resolve that.  If not, you can open an SR with McAfee for the removal tool.

0 Kudos