cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unexpected patch update possibly from one-click

OK. I guess it would be 'waiting' as the patch was moved from evaluation to current. We had a few logistical problems with using different agents and branches, which is why I had to try and do it this way. That WAS just the way things were. I have worked around that for the future.

So, that maybe accounts for 1000 machines where that script is run, including the ones I have logs for. I guess if a scheduled agent communication would force a global update if there was one waiting, then that probably accounts for the rest. Sorry to pester, but are you 100% certain that would happen merely on an agent communication or shall I trawl the web/docs ?

Many many thanks for the responses.

Cool. Joe, has cleared that up. Cheers both.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 13

rrrobbo wrote:

I agree on the task - McAfee support have actually just managed to confirm that too. This actually blows one of my theories on why I had 7000 machines update, as I had disabled the VSE update part in that task and have a wake up call to kick in before the missed task.

When I am wondering about the agent communication invoking an update, it is simply that. I don't see how such communication can invoke an update to products and don't see that documented. If I did not expect it and I had turned off everything else before checking something into 'current' that should invoke a controlled update, and then an agent communication invoked an update, my network might just get rather flooded. They only talk ever 240 mins though.

I sense I might be mis-interpreting what you mean.

Possibly   An agent-to-server communication doesn't invoke an update by itself: it requires that global updating is enabled, and that a global update has been triggered (by a qualifying product having been checked in to the master repo) since the last ASC. If either of those conditions is false, the agent will not run an update task on its next ASC.

What about a change to the sitelist file and a "cmdagent -c -e -p". Would THAT invoke an update of anyhting other than policy ?

No, that would just update the sitelist on the client with the new information.

HTH -

Joe

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community