cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding 'Run Immediately'.

Hi, I would like to understand the concept of 'Run Immediately'. We encounter instances where I create a folder to install VSE. When I drag and drop an object to the folder second time to that folder, the task do not run. I read at some online forum saying that 'Run Immediately' always run 'ONCE' only? meaning once the task is run before it will not run again, is that correct? What is the concept of 'Run Immediately? How can I ensure task is always run when I set to 'Run Immediately? Please advise. Thank you. Regards, Vincent
10 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor vnaidu
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: Understanding 'Run Immediately'.

@vincentcsit 

Dear Vincent,

If you use the client task run immediately that means the client task would start to run only once but you only have the option to stop the task if runs for xx hours xx minutes.

Run once will give you more options to select effective start date and time and you could repeat the task once during the specific time slot. So Run once is entirely different from Run Immediately.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Venu
Nick_B
Level 11
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

When I create Client Tasks for deploying security products in ePO for a customer, I generally use the Run Immediately as well as Daily schedules.

This way, there is complete coverage of the estate as once an endpoint picks up the Run Immediately task it installs the software on the device. Once it has run, it will never run again (even if it fails initially).

Then the Daily schedule is set to run throughout the day, every 4 hours or so and usually with a randomization interval so as not to overwhelm the network as some products such as Endpoint Security, for example are very large (upwards of 350MB).

Hope this helps.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

How about the follow? :

1. Run on idle - Under what conditions the tasks will run? Will it run only once?

2. Run on system startup - Under what conditions the tasks will run? Will it run only once?

Thank you.

Vincent

Nick,

Thank you for your posting. I admit that I was somewhat confused by this configuration, although I have the very same settings in place at the suggestion of a contractor.  In this scenario, if the “Run Immediate” task was setup to update daily Dat and AMCore content. I also have a scheduled task to run within a specific schedule. Would the Run Immediate task run each day when new files are made available in the Repository?

Thank you

Hi Venu,

Thanks for the reply.

How about the follow? :

1. Run on idle - Under what conditions the tasks will run? Will it run only once?

2. Run on system startup - Under what conditions the tasks will run? Will it run only once?

Thank you.

Vincent
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 11

Refer to KB82845 - that setting is only applicable for 4.8 agents.  5.x agents will not honor that schedule.

It will run on every system startup.  The settings in the task have an option to run it only once a day instead of every reboot if the system happens to be rebooted more than once a day.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Run immediately means that as soon as the agent checks into epo and gets the task, it will invoke it at that time and not run again, even if it failed the first time.  The only time it will run again is if there is any modification at all to the task or the assignment, which would also include updating product versions in master repository, upgrading agent extensions, editing anything at all in the task or assignment for it.

The masvc log on the client will show it getting the task and invoking it (c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs)

The mcscript (or mcscript-deploy log, depending on agent version) will show whether it was able to get the required files or not and invoke setup.

These are all agent side successes or failures.  If it succeeds on these points, then it becomes a point product failure or success.

The product install logs are located in windows\temp\mcafeelogs.  You would want to check those for any install failures, if it got to that point.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Thank you for this outstanding explanation. I appreciate the log file information as well.,
This is very helpful.
Much appreciated.
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 11

Glad to help!  If this has answered your questions, please go ahead and mark as solved.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community