cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZGreen
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

Unable to create McAfee Agent Package (ePO creating unmanaged agent packages)

Jump to solution

I am unable to create the Mcafee Agent Deployment Package. I can go through the whole process using the new system or Agent Deployment link but that only creates a package that is unamanged. I have compared the new package to old package and it looks the same as far as size and installation. Once it completes the install process it shows up as unmanaged like it could not find the ePO.  I have tried uninstalling and re-installing as well as bringing the package into the Master Repository again. When creating the url link it goes the the This page cannot be displayed when trying to get to epo. Why would the ePO be creating unmanaged packages?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZGreen
Level 9
Message 12 of 12

Re: Unable to create McAfee Agent Package (ePO creating unmanaged agent packages)

Jump to solution

The only fix I was able to find to fix the issue was to create a new agent-server secure communications key under configuration>servers settings> security keys. I am still testing but the systems are now in managed mode. I am now able to run task and I can deploy products without an issue. In anyone else is having the issue please let me know. Thank you.

Troubleshooting: I contacted my network team as well as checked GPOs on the system and all seemed to be working properly. I DID NOT have to redownload the agent package to get the issue fixed. Once I changed the agent-server secure key I tested it on a few systems and made sure that could talk properly to the ePO and the ePO to them. After a few hours I ran an agent key updater task and so far about 97% of my systems are responding to the update.  

View solution in original post

11 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unable to create McAfee Agent Package (ePO creating unmanaged agent packages)

Jump to solution

It may not be creating unmanaged packages.  Does the server log on the epo server show any initialization or other errors?  That is located in the install directory for epo under db\logs.  The masvc log on the client will show whether it attempts to connect to server or not and what the errors are.  That is located in c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ZGreen
Level 9
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

There are a few errors so I will check this tomorrow. I will get back to you with the response in the morning. Thank You. 

Jump to solution

What is your ePO version?

What version of the agent are you trying to deploy?

Are your extensions up to date? is it earlier than 5.6.3? How bout your ePO core extensions?

ZGreen
Level 9
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

What is your ePO version? 5.10

What version of the agent are you trying to deploy? 5.6.2 but I have checked several versions as well. 

Are your extensions up to date? is it earlier than 5.6.3? How bout your ePO core extensions? All extensions are up to date. I am currently running two identical epos and one is working perfectly fine. This one have an IP change shortly before the issue started. 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Is dns resolving the new IP properly?  You might need to follow KB56308 to add serveripaddress=newIP to the server.ini, then wait a few minutes for sitelist to update internally.  You can then try to reinstall agent.  

To confirm if systems are using the right IP address, on a client failing to communicate, go to c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs and open the masvc log.  Look for keyword asci and see what IP the client is trying to connect to, as well as any errors.  

You mentioned you saw errors - what were they?  You should see some in that log, as well as possibly some in the server log on the epo server - under db\logs where epo is installed.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution
It does sound like it could be an IP issue. Let's assume, you did create an agent from ePO and install it on a client. If for some reason, the system was not able to communicate with ePO, and download policy data, THEN, it would act like an unmanaged agent, even though it does have information about ePO, and I am thinking it has the old IP. I think cdinet has the right idea. Please follow the procedure.
ZGreen
Level 9
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

I read Technical Articles ID:   KB76900 Mismatched Extension versions on ePolicy Orchestrator servers may cause policy corruption and other undesired behavior and I believe the updated extensions may be the cause of the issue. The server that I exported the policies from is an outdated 5.3 epo and the one I am importing into is 5.10 server. How would I corrected this without having to create all new policies?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

I am not sure what do you mean by unmanaged agents.

Are you talking about standalone agent then you don't need to create anything. Just copy framepkg_upd.exe from ePO server (C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409) on the client machine and run it.

For ePO managed MA  also, please copy framepkg.exe file from same location (C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409) and run it.

Size of unmanaged and managed agent will be approx same.

If you are installing ePO managed agent and showing unmanaged. That means that MA is not communicating to the ePO server. Please check MA logs (masvc.log) for the error message.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
ZGreen
Level 9
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

The only error I see is "msgbus.info: verify code signature returns <0), GetlastError <0>. This is in the masvc log. 

Want to Ask a Question?

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community