cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to check in McAfee Agent extensions

Hi,

I have a couple of doubts about product extension check-in EPO. As per as I understand, for deploying any product module and managing it via EPO (Eg: McAfee ENS Threat Prevention 10.7) I need to check-in both the installation package and the extension. The installation package will help in installing the same on managed clients whereas the extension will help to create policies, task, reporting for the same product. So suppose I have 10 systems in my environment with ENS Threat Prevention 10.6 and 10 systems with ENS THreat prevention 10.7. Then I should be having extension of both 10.6 & 10.7 right?

But ideally I think if I have 10.6 extension checked-in and want to onboard 10.7 extension, the latter will replace the existing extension. So is it something like 10.7 extension is capable of managing 10.6 product as well?

Please comment wherever I am wrong. And if my understanding is correct the same goes for any McAfee product, Because I just had Agent 5.6.1 extension and whenever trying to check-in 5.6.4 extension it is replacing the older one.

If I don't install Extension for a product, then will I loose control in creating tasks/policies? or what will be the issue?

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to check in McAfee Agent extensions

The extensions are backward compatible, so 5.6.4 ma extension will manage all agent versions before that, even 4.8 - just some features may not be compatible (single system troubleshooting, etc.)  The same goes for other products.  ENS 10.7 extension will manage lower versions of ens.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

Thanks. That was great help. And please confirm that if extensions are not checked in for a module, then what challenges will we face? Is it like ENS 10.7 is checked in Master Repository but I am not able to create any deployment task or run any query or make policy changes?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Deployment tasks depend on the product being in the master repository or not, regardless of whether there is an extension installed or not.

If a point product extension is not installed, there will be no policies, tasks, or queries for that product.  Additionally, extensions provide OS support information for the point product, which can be crucial for newer operating systems.  For example, with later versions of Windows 10, only certain versions of the products are supported.  So if a product is deployed and there is no info on the supportability of that os, then that point product will fail to install as not supported on that platform.  That is another reason for having the latest extensions installed, even if clients aren't necessarily up to that version.  

As always, it can also be important to check with point product teams for what extensions are backward compatible or not - most are.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Additionally, without product extensions, particularly if they are report extensions, events will not be parsed for that product, as that also adds info to epo for how to handle that product's events.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community