cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Trying to Minimize Files being Replicated

I noticed that we are replicating about 120m of data every cycle. I noticed an avvdat-5620.zip and a dat-5620.zip. Are both those needed? Can I cut this down somehow?

We are using super agents on all our repository servers and are using vs 8.5 although there may be a handfull of 8.0's out there.
7 Replies
Highlighted

RE: Trying to Minimize Files being Replicated

I noticed that when I set up my SuperAgent repository replication task that I could configure the replication type to be either "full" or "incremental".

I couldn't find any documentation explaining the difference, but solely running "incremental" replications seems to work fine for me in testing.

Perhaps try switching to an incremental update to see if that helps.
Highlighted

I do have it set to incremental but I do believe my fix might be an easy one. We have repositories all over the world and I noticed the replication order followed the order of repositories in the sitelst. The issue I'm really having is with a site on the west coast that is low on the list. This means that all the clients from that site come here for most of their work day and never really use the repository since it's disabled due to replication process.

Is it safe to say that I can change the order at which these repositores get replicated by moveing those US repository higher on the list? I noticed there was a DB\SiteList.XML and a DB\SiteMgr.xml. Would i need to edit both of these?
Highlighted

Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to update repositories in parallel? Instead of a single replication task that updates all repositories one after another, perhaps create multiple repository replication tasks all set to run at the same time that each update a smaller number of repositories?
Highlighted

If you are using super agents, it will generally update 5 sites at time which is what I'm seeing.
Highlighted

The repository list does automatically get updated in parallel - for about 6 at a time per processor - regarding the "two versions" of the DAT files - I believe those are for differnet engine versions so if you've upgraded all your clients to the 5300 engine then I think it should reduce to one file.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB55340&actp=search&searchid=1242812711989
Highlighted

...also you may wish to read up on the use of "selective replication" of packages to distributed repositories....
Highlighted

v2 dat only

If you search the KB, you can find info about updating from the V2 source repositories, which will only load the new format DAT files, thereby reducing the size of the DAT by roughly half. You can only do this if you have products that can use the V2 DAT. One link to some info about the V2 DAT is here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60772&actp=search&searchid=1237928944661

Note that this will not reduce the size of the repository by half, but it should cut down the amount of daily replication to about half. This will also use the
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community