cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PMY
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 29

Trigger ePO Server to install epo agent and antivirus?

Hello,
is it possible to 'trigger' ePolicy Orchestrator from an external application or trough command line to install both the McAfee Agent (v4) and the AntiVirus (v8.5 or 8.7) on a computer? Like you would manually start the task from the console.

PS: I know you can add command line options to the FramePkg.exe, but I'd like to do all installations from within epo.

Thanks in advance
Peter
28 Replies
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 2 of 29

RE: Trigger ePO Server to install epo agent and antivirus?

I use psexec to install remote agents sometimes, as i like being able to just throw in a whole list of pcnames in one go,
My forced install under this has the check in to epo at the end so If I send an agent it installs and checks into epo then epo automatically sorts it into groups (as we use IP filtering) and applies VSE if its missing and updates.

Shouldn't EPO be able to do this?

I have a problem in which I've deployed the agent on 2 servers, but am unable to send the virusscan software to them, virusscan is in the repository which these servers are looking at. If there is a 'deploy agent' button in epo 4 why don't they also have a 'deploy anti-virus product' button too?

I've tried creating a client task running a 'mcafee update' to these 2 servers but they don't seem to be working.

I'm finding that if a machine already has virusscan on it, the update task seems to work fairly instantly, it's just getting that anti virus software on them in the first place if their new machines.

Also as I'm performing a Active Directory sync, would it be possible for any newly discovered systems to automatically have the agent and anti virus software installed?

Any ideas muchly appreciated.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 4 of 29

you should have a system created deployment task in the client tasks on epo, this is what installs VSE and other packages to valif agents, check you have this enabled and applied to the agent you are referring to.

Have created 2 specific tasks for each client with the client task builder and scheduled it to run in 5 mins, will see what happens, although I tried this earlier and nothing happened. Have also turned ON global updating too.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 6 of 29

you should have a deployment task already created by the system in EPO...

does this exist? it should

if so then this is what you should use to install the point products.

the other tasks are for patches and updates

Didn't work Smiley Sad

I have a 'Policy Assignment for My Organization > McAfee Agent' which is set to 'Break inheritance and assign the policy and settings below'.

Assigned policy is set to 'My Default' which is a duplicate of 'McAfee Default'.

'Lock policy inheritance' is set to 'unlocked'.

And finally 'Broken inheritance below this point' is set to 'None'.

I presume this is the default policy.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 8 of 29

you mean the deployment task doesnt work although you have set the correct inheritance for it?

what are all the settings you have set for the task

Am using epo 4, and can't find a 'deployment task' anywhere, only policy, which is attached to 'My organization' which has the settings which were in my last post.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 10 of 29

go to

systems
system tree
client tasks
you will see the client tasks assigned to whatever you have clickon in the system tree

one of these is a mcafee agent task called deployment