cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferred systems to ePO5.1 from 4.6, but they came back to 4.6

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm working on upgrading our current ePO 4.6 environment to ePO 5.1.   I'm doing a side by side upgrade and have the 5.1 environment pretty much ready to start taking on systems.

After getting the keys exported from one server to the other and registering the 5.1 server to 4.6, I transferred a few systems over to the new environment.   Everything seemed fine and OK, until a few hours later, when I came back and noticed that these systems I had transferred had reverted back to ePO 4.6.

My current theory is that ePO 4.6 is picking them up during the hourly AD sync, and pulling them back over.   Is there a way to prevent these systems from switching back over to 4.6?

Thanks!

-Pablo

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Transferred systems to ePO5.1 from 4.6, but they came back to 4.6

Jump to solution

The best way would be disabling the McAfee Agent deployment option under the AD sync settings so computers ould appear again under ePO 4.6 but won't get automatically McAfee Agent deployment.

Once this is modified you can set a new tag for the unmanaged computers (the ones that will be managed by ePO 5.1) and then set an autmated task that will deploy McAfee Agent every X hours to any non-managed computers except the ones that will have the prior define tag

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi pcuellar, you have of course to disable the AD sync task because you preobably set credentials for deploying Mcafee Agent.

Be sure to disable any AD sync tasks under Menu->Automation->server tasks on the ePO 4.6 server

Jump to solution

@Laszlo G,

Thank you for your response.   I'm wondering, might there be any way to make this work without turning off the AD sync in 4.6?   I'd like for new builds to continue to get the agent and stay in communication with the current ePO.  However, I would also like to have only a select group of "controlled" machines in the new ePO environment to make sure evyerhing works, so I rather keep AD sync on 5.1 off.

In other words, I'd like to transfer computers from ePO 4.6 to 5.1 while keeping AD Sync in 4.6 turned ON, and OFF in 5.1 during this initial transition.   Is this an option?

Thanks!

-Pablo

Jump to solution

The best way would be disabling the McAfee Agent deployment option under the AD sync settings so computers ould appear again under ePO 4.6 but won't get automatically McAfee Agent deployment.

Once this is modified you can set a new tag for the unmanaged computers (the ones that will be managed by ePO 5.1) and then set an autmated task that will deploy McAfee Agent every X hours to any non-managed computers except the ones that will have the prior define tag

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

I like that approach.  Thank you for your input, Laszlo G!

Reliable Contributor Fademidun
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

@pcuellar did you register epo 4.6 and configure as agent handler on 5.1.1 or vice versa, in same situation migrating to 5.1.1 but getting error agent no communicating with epo server

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

I have tried to point the Agent Handler to the new ePO from the old one (Agent Handler modified with published DNS Name/IP Address on 4.6 to 5.1.1) but no joy..

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

It seems to have been working with side-by-side upgrade. One issue though, agent keep going back to old ePO 4.6 after some time, disabled all Task, AD Synch and also changed the Agent Handler to the New 5.1.1 as target FQDN in published DNS/IP name. Also some are coming up with Agent failed to communicate with epo server. The Registered Server could not connect to ePO4.6 (not really bother so much about that) failed during test connection. I used this KB as a guide KB82126..

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community