cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer systems to new ePO server KB79283

Jump to solution

I have read KB79283 "How to transfer computers from one ePolicy Orchestrator server to another" but need clarification.

Both servers are synced to AD to replicate the AD folder structure.  Will the systems transferred to the new server be sorted into their correct AD group?

After being moved, does the endpoint on the old server retain its last communication time and old properties or is that information deleted when the agent starts reporting to the new server?

Under the Environment heading the KB states it applies to ePO 5.x but the example in the body is transferring systems from ePO 4.x  to ePO 5.x.  Can you confirm it is possible to transfer managed systems from a 5.10 ePO server to a 5.9.1 ePO server?  We currently have a 5.10 server but want to bring up a 5.9.1 and transfer some systems to it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 6

Re: Transfer systems to new ePO server KB79283

Jump to solution

Yes, it should be possible to transfer systems from 5.10 to 5.9.

The sorting of systems depends on how you have your AD sync set up (move systems to sync point or leave them where they are).  They should get moved into their correct group, especially after a sync is performed.

As for the behavior of how the transfer works, here is an explanation.  However, there have been times I have seen that the node remained on the originating server, but that is not a frequent occurrence.

Once a system is marked for transfer, it will still appear in the originating server until the agent performs an ASCI. Once that is done, the originating server sends it a temporary sitelist pointing it to the target server. When the agent performs a second ASCI, it will call into the target server and get a normal sitelist, and at that time it will begin appearing in the target ePO server. However, the agent will not show up in either server between the 1st and 2nd ASCI's.

I would suggest exporting the system tree structure from the originating server to have as a reference so you can compare the 2 when transfers should be complete.  There may be some that for some reason aren't able to talk to the new server, so in those cases you may have to deploy an agent from the new server.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

5 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Answers Inline.

have read KB79283 "How to transfer computers from one ePolicy Orchestrator server to another" but need clarification.

Both servers are synced to AD to replicate the AD folder structure.  Will the systems transferred to the new server be sorted into their correct AD group?

A: Will transfer machines only not AD structure.

After being moved, does the endpoint on the old server retain its last communication time and old properties or is that information deleted when the agent starts reporting to the new server?

A: It will not contain any property of older server.

Under the Environment heading the KB states it applies to ePO 5.x but the example in the body is transferring systems from ePO 4.x  to ePO 5.x.  Can you confirm it is possible to transfer managed systems from a 5.10 ePO server to a 5.9.1 ePO server?  We currently have a 5.10 server but want to bring up a 5.9.1 and transfer some systems to it.

A: Not sure about transferring from 4.x to 5.x as ePO 4.x is EOL. You can try and see if it works. You should be able to transfer machines between ePO 5.9 and 5.10

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Yes, it should be possible to transfer systems from 5.10 to 5.9.

The sorting of systems depends on how you have your AD sync set up (move systems to sync point or leave them where they are).  They should get moved into their correct group, especially after a sync is performed.

As for the behavior of how the transfer works, here is an explanation.  However, there have been times I have seen that the node remained on the originating server, but that is not a frequent occurrence.

Once a system is marked for transfer, it will still appear in the originating server until the agent performs an ASCI. Once that is done, the originating server sends it a temporary sitelist pointing it to the target server. When the agent performs a second ASCI, it will call into the target server and get a normal sitelist, and at that time it will begin appearing in the target ePO server. However, the agent will not show up in either server between the 1st and 2nd ASCI's.

I would suggest exporting the system tree structure from the originating server to have as a reference so you can compare the 2 when transfers should be complete.  There may be some that for some reason aren't able to talk to the new server, so in those cases you may have to deploy an agent from the new server.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

is it possible transfer system one epo to another and automatically move to respective group?

Jump to solution

My ePO is synched to Active Directory so when I transfer systems yes they go to the correct group. 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

That all depends on how you have your groups set up.  You can set up system tree sorting, but you have to enable system tree sorting in server settings and on the clients.  Please see the epo product guide for setting up system tree sorting.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community