cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The on-access scanner and signature upgrade not working on a server 2008

Hi,

I have a problem on our new file server. The server was going crazy some time ago and had his processor was peaking 100% all the time. having seen that with Mcafee before, we removed the agent and virsuscan itself. The agent removed itself but for virusscan, we had errors over errors so in the end we were not able to remove it completely. So we simply disabled the online access  and the access protection. Since this is a vital server, doing that we were able to make it work again and we added a new virtual processor on it.

Today, we have decided to try virusscan again.

So-

1- Installation of the agent - success

2- Updating security -- working but not for the signature. It does not upgrade

3- reaching virsuscan enterprise     

- activation access protection - working

- activation on access scanner not working

4- tried to reach virus scan again but now I have this: Failed to connect to computer ".". The computer ma bi offline, it may be blocking ports etc...

Made some research on the internet and solution like resetting the services did not work.

What could be the source of the problem? Do you have any idea what could cause this?

Have a nice day!

Fred

10 Replies
avinash34
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: The on-access scanner and signature upgrade not working on a server 2008

Hello daguerre101,

Did you try restarting the McAfee McShield services ?

Did you get any error while trying to restart the McShield services?

Thanks.

Yeah I did restart the service and i did not had any error messages.

Doing that I had to uncheck the Prevent mcafee services from being stopped in the properties I put the checkbox back afterward.

avinash34
Level 12
Message 4 of 11

what version of VSE are you using ?
how did you try to update the VSE ?

VSE (8.8.0.1247)

The EPO server is all up to date.

avinash34
Level 12
Message 6 of 11

try restarting the McTraskmanager service and check whether you are able to connect to the machine.

for update issue uncheck the engine package and select only DAT in the update task . also check the update log from the machine to see if there are any errors.
Also restart McAfee Framework Service, McAfee McShield and McAfee Task Manager.to check whether the access scanner  has started.

OK!

So I go on the server, I see only two services: McAfee Framework Service and Mcafee validation trust  protection service and nothing else... I check on my computer and all the services you presented me are there.

I feel like we touched a nerve here... Why are those services completely absent? Is there a was to make them appear. It is not just that they are not in service, they are not there at all.

avinash34
Level 12
Message 8 of 11

try uninstalling and reinstalling VSE that might work

follow this article if you werent able to remove from control panel McAfee KnowledgeBase - How to manually remove VirusScan Enterprise 8.x using msiexec.exe

VSE is no longer in the uninstall portion of the control panel. So I used the msiexec command line but the windows installer says that this product cannot be removed since it is not installed...

It is like VSE is half installed/ half uninstalled and Windows have no clue how to treat that.

Is there a more radical way to get rid of mcafee so I could reinstall it after?

can you see VSE in the task bar ?

try this steps for the KB for manual uninstallation McAfee KnowledgeBase - How to manually remove VirusScan Enterprise 8.8