Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor haaris
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

System name appears differently in EPO

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have one server in EPO under ssytem tree which appears as DTSFLRUEETPRAAK instead of DTSFLRUEETPRAAK01.When we checked the server hostname it is actually DTSFLRUEETPRAAK01 but it seems in EPO 01 is missing from the hostname.

On the server McAfee agent also shows the name DTSFLRUEETPRAAK as it appears in EPO but why its not showing full name under agent.

We reinstalled the agent to check if it resolves the issue but no luck.

We tried both agent version 5.0.6 and 5.5.1

Why is it like that?Any solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 11

Re: System name appears differently in EPO

Jump to solution

It isn't the fault of the agent, it is only reporting what the OS reports as the netbios name of system.  That is a limitation of netbios that is limited to 15 characters, so the netbios name is truncated to that limit.  If you add the column for dns name in the system tree, it will show correctly. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

10 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can anyone update

Jump to solution
Is the DNS name field in the ePO also displaying false name?

Parhaps this could help:
https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator/ePO-not-displying-correct-system-name/td-p/5264...
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi @HugsNotDrugs

Yes the DNS name field in epo showing correct name. 

I had gone through that link already but it didn't helped. 

Highlighted
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Haaris,

Limit server names to 15 characters or less.  MS and other software expectd this.  Your name is 17 characters.

HTH,

DocB

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi, 

You mean to say that there is a limitation in the number of characters a server has in name for McAfee agent to report it to EPO server

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

It isn't the fault of the agent, it is only reporting what the OS reports as the netbios name of system.  That is a limitation of netbios that is limited to 15 characters, so the netbios name is truncated to that limit.  If you add the column for dns name in the system tree, it will show correctly. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

If you look at the Microsoft article given, it clearly shows that there is a max character limit of 15. 

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

NETBIOS names have a limitation of 15 characters, this is not a limitation of ePO.  You can assign a name longer than that, but the NETBIOS name will stop after 15 bytes (which could be less than 15 characters if they are using a doublebyte character set).  You can reference http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264.  The DNS name does not have the same limitation.  If you Actions | Choose Columns on the system tree you can select DNS Name from computer properties which should display the missing information.

Was my reply helpful?

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi @cdinet,

Thanks for the useful information.

You are right DNS name is showing full name of the server in EPO

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center