Did you mean: 
cy_al
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

System account creating subgroups?

Jump to solution

Hi again,

I was planning on cleaning up the Lost&Found subgroup in our ePO due to subgroups created incorrectly when I got curious as to who may have created them. As I checked the audit logs, the username "system" was the one who created them. This username is disabled and cannot be edited even with admin account.

Is there any reason or cause why "system" is able to create subgroups even when disabled and even move systems to such subgroups? This can't be related to AD, as we don't sync AD with ePO at all and the client's AD doesn't have any containers that could be related to the created subgroups.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: System account creating subgroups?

Jump to solution

When an agent checks into epo, the system first goes into lost and found.  Whatever domain or workgroup that system is in, there will be a group created for that domain/workgroup name.  If you have sorting enabled, then the systems will move to their respective groups.  The system account will always be available to do background tasks and operations, but it is disabled for any login. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

1 Reply
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: System account creating subgroups?

Jump to solution

When an agent checks into epo, the system first goes into lost and found.  Whatever domain or workgroup that system is in, there will be a group created for that domain/workgroup name.  If you have sorting enabled, then the systems will move to their respective groups.  The system account will always be available to do background tasks and operations, but it is disabled for any login. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator