Did you mean: 
ccless
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Symptoms in ePO console that VSE is corrupted

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Pretty new here.  We have epo 5.3.2 and MA 4.8.  Lately, I've noticed that a couple of our machines are outdated.  Doing a push from the ePO won't work , and when we try to manually remediate, it doesn't work.  We end up reinstallig everything just to get it to work. 

We suspect it's a corrupted VSE issue as there is no uninstall option in Control Panel.  Has any of you experienced the same thing? or to put it bluntly, is there a way in the ePO console to sort which likely has VSE corrupted?  please advise.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee austin_o
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Re: Symptoms in ePO console that VSE is corrupted

Jump to solution

My apologies, there really would be no documentation to outline the situation currently being experienced.  Honestly, why the VSE is corrupt is still a mystery as well, my speculation would either be corruption over time from end-user or third party applications or potentially a bad upgrade or upgrade path. 

For the machines <24, not necessarily.  But it can be a good indicator if your daily DAT task is running but the DAT version is not upgrading but the agent is still communicating.  In this scenario there could be quite a few reason that an installation has become corrupt but without a deep dive into logs on a few systems, it would be all guess work.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
McAfee Employee dmcgeary
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Greetings, 
 As of VSE 8.8 P4 the OAS status is viewable via ePO. See KB77232
OAS being disabled is typically a prime indicator if something being wrong. 
Otherwise DAT compliance is a good indicator as well when comparing with last communication Time.
Using the last comm time will help decipher it is a active system that is not updating. 
Hope that helps.

ccless
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

hi, thanks for the feedback ,  The OAS thing appears to be a legit symptom, but do you have like a relative KB article that mentions this?  As well as potential reason why the VSE would be corrupted? Reason I ask is because I wanted to present solutions to our group, but would need these facts as valid references. Wehave VSE 8.8 P8 by the way and a smuttering 8.8 P9s as well.

Also on your last statement, does it follow that machines with latest comm of say <24 hours and still outdated likely have VSE corrupted?  Is thre a McAfee KB that maybe highlights possible reasons why VSE would get corrupted?  Really sorry for the long questions but woud sincerely appreciate your updates.

McAfee Employee austin_o
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

My apologies, there really would be no documentation to outline the situation currently being experienced.  Honestly, why the VSE is corrupt is still a mystery as well, my speculation would either be corruption over time from end-user or third party applications or potentially a bad upgrade or upgrade path. 

For the machines <24, not necessarily.  But it can be a good indicator if your daily DAT task is running but the DAT version is not upgrading but the agent is still communicating.  In this scenario there could be quite a few reason that an installation has become corrupt but without a deep dive into logs on a few systems, it would be all guess work.  

View solution in original post

ccless
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

thanks a lot bud, and I'll give this a shot and will likely engage support to gain an understanding whty VSE got corrupted.  Thanks again

McAfee Employee austin_o
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

I would consider creating a custom query to achieve this.  You could specify DAT compliance, last communication time, and version information.  This should give you a breakdown of what systems are and are not behaving.  I would expect a few variables to stand out, suggesting VSE isnt reporting properly.    

Additionally, the following KB provides the VSE MSI removal string which can be run from an elevated run or command prompt:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52648

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community