cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supported OS platform for McAfee Super Agent - Distributed Repository

Jump to solution

Need to know if there is any recommendation for McAfee Super Agent.

What are the compatible OS flavours to act as Super Agent\Distributed Repo

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: Supported OS platform for McAfee Super Agent - Distributed Repository

Jump to solution

As long as the agent itself is supported on that OS and platform, then it is supported as a superagent.  There are no separate requirements, except possibly the fact that it needs to be a stable system - not changing, moving, etc.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi Anand_Mari,

The platforms supported by an Agent (MA) are not affected by the its 'status' as an Super Agent (SA), they remain the same platforms the MA supports.

An SA is an Agent (MA) acting as a distributed repository for the ePO server. When you create an SA you do not perform a new deployment all you do is change its mode.

The product guide explains:

"A SuperAgent is a distributed repository which is designed to reduce the load on McAfee ePO. McAfee ePO manages how the SuperAgent is replicated. 

The SuperAgent caches information received from McAfee ePO, the Master Repository, an HTTP, or an FTP repository, and distributes it to the agents in its broadcast domain. Configure a SuperAgent in every broadcast domain when managing agents in larger networks.

The Lazy Caching feature allows the SuperAgent to retrieve data from McAfee ePO only when requested by a local agent system. Creating a hierarchy of SuperAgents with lazy caching further saves bandwidth and minimizes the load on McAfee ePO.

A SuperAgent also broadcasts wake-up calls to other agents on the same network subnet. The SuperAgent receives a wake-up call from McAfee ePO, then wakes up the agents in its subnet."

In ePO you would select a device (or set of devices) to become Super Agents (SAs). Then via Policy change the operating state of the(se) agent(s) to SuperAgent.

1. Select Menu | Systems | System Tree | Systems tab, then select the required group under System Tree.
All systems in this group appear in the details pane.

2. Select the required system, then click Actions | Agent | Edit Policies on a Single System.
The Policy Assignment page for that system appears.

3. From the Product drop-down list, select McAfee Agent.
The policy categories are listed with the system's assigned policies.

4. Click Edit Assignment under Actions corresponding to the General policy category.

5. Next to the Inherit from option, select Break inheritance and assign the policy and settings below to inherit the policies from.

6. From the Assigned policy drop-down list, select My Default policies, then click Edit Policy.
You can also create a policy by clicking New policy.

7. On the SuperAgent tab, next to Repository options, enable Convert agents to SuperAgents to allow broadcasting of wake-up calls.

8. Click Save.

9. Send a wake-up call.

Something to remember after the change to SA is done is that an SA uses a different port for 'Agent Wake up' calls, default port is - 8081
Ref: KB66797
Make sure to send a Super agent wake call to such devices if you wish to 'wake them up'!!

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

4 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

The OS supported by MA should be ok for SuperAgent -Distributed Repository

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51573

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Hi Hem,

Couldn't anything related to McAfee Super Agent.

Please help with the Snip screenshot.

Regards,

Mari

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

As long as the agent itself is supported on that OS and platform, then it is supported as a superagent.  There are no separate requirements, except possibly the fact that it needs to be a stable system - not changing, moving, etc.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi Anand_Mari,

The platforms supported by an Agent (MA) are not affected by the its 'status' as an Super Agent (SA), they remain the same platforms the MA supports.

An SA is an Agent (MA) acting as a distributed repository for the ePO server. When you create an SA you do not perform a new deployment all you do is change its mode.

The product guide explains:

"A SuperAgent is a distributed repository which is designed to reduce the load on McAfee ePO. McAfee ePO manages how the SuperAgent is replicated. 

The SuperAgent caches information received from McAfee ePO, the Master Repository, an HTTP, or an FTP repository, and distributes it to the agents in its broadcast domain. Configure a SuperAgent in every broadcast domain when managing agents in larger networks.

The Lazy Caching feature allows the SuperAgent to retrieve data from McAfee ePO only when requested by a local agent system. Creating a hierarchy of SuperAgents with lazy caching further saves bandwidth and minimizes the load on McAfee ePO.

A SuperAgent also broadcasts wake-up calls to other agents on the same network subnet. The SuperAgent receives a wake-up call from McAfee ePO, then wakes up the agents in its subnet."

In ePO you would select a device (or set of devices) to become Super Agents (SAs). Then via Policy change the operating state of the(se) agent(s) to SuperAgent.

1. Select Menu | Systems | System Tree | Systems tab, then select the required group under System Tree.
All systems in this group appear in the details pane.

2. Select the required system, then click Actions | Agent | Edit Policies on a Single System.
The Policy Assignment page for that system appears.

3. From the Product drop-down list, select McAfee Agent.
The policy categories are listed with the system's assigned policies.

4. Click Edit Assignment under Actions corresponding to the General policy category.

5. Next to the Inherit from option, select Break inheritance and assign the policy and settings below to inherit the policies from.

6. From the Assigned policy drop-down list, select My Default policies, then click Edit Policy.
You can also create a policy by clicking New policy.

7. On the SuperAgent tab, next to Repository options, enable Convert agents to SuperAgents to allow broadcasting of wake-up calls.

8. Click Save.

9. Send a wake-up call.

Something to remember after the change to SA is done is that an SA uses a different port for 'Agent Wake up' calls, default port is - 8081
Ref: KB66797
Make sure to send a Super agent wake call to such devices if you wish to 'wake them up'!!

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community