Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runcmd
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

SuperAgent vs. SuperAgent Distributed Repository

Jump to solution

Could someone please explain to me the benefits of having a SuperAgent without converting it into a Distributed Repository?  I'm curious as to why you can configure a SuperAgent in the McAfee Agent policy without making it into a Distributed Repository.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: SuperAgent vs. SuperAgent Distributed Repository

Jump to solution

Super agents (sans the repo) are used to propagate super agent broadcast calls. They are used for global updating. Here is how it works:

1. Something is checked into the master repository that triggers a global update (such as a DAT file)
  2. All distributed repositories are replicated to
  3. A signal is sent out to all super agents (whether they host a repo or not)
  4. Each Super Agent sends out a broadcast call on its network segment directing all agents that hear this call to perform an update

So because the super agents send out a broadcast call and broadcast calls are not propagated beyond their network segment you would have to put a super agent on each network segment for this to work but you may not want a distributed repository on each network segment.

Confused? I know I am

5 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Super agents (sans the repo) are used to propagate super agent broadcast calls. They are used for global updating. Here is how it works:

1. Something is checked into the master repository that triggers a global update (such as a DAT file)
  2. All distributed repositories are replicated to
  3. A signal is sent out to all super agents (whether they host a repo or not)
  4. Each Super Agent sends out a broadcast call on its network segment directing all agents that hear this call to perform an update

So because the super agents send out a broadcast call and broadcast calls are not propagated beyond their network segment you would have to put a super agent on each network segment for this to work but you may not want a distributed repository on each network segment.

Confused? I know I am

runcmd
Level 10
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response!  So, utilizing a SuperAgent (without making it a distributed repository) is only useful if you have Global Updating enabled on the ePO?

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Correct. With global updating disabled super agents sans repository are of no use.

runcmd
Level 10
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Excellent!  That answers my question.  Thanks so much for the information!

Jump to solution

HI ,

It there any documents to configure the super agent , Kindly provide us the details for the configaration .

Regards

Udayakiran.MN