cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Some client tasks are running hundreds of hours as shown in server task protocol

Hello,

I have the following issue on EPO 5.1.1. Some server task protocol entries are showing with status “running” that are older than 400 hours. Is it possible to remove that entries? It’s not possible to delete that entries in server task protocol list by choosing that entries in protocol list and trying to delete it. Because that delete option is greyed out. Some related clients are currently up and running. Other are currently offline. The “Run client task” option to push tasks to clients is configured using default Settings as shown below.
What can I do to stop or delete that “long running tasks” and how to clean the server task protocol regarding that “long running client tasks”?

Options.jpg

Thanks for answering.

Regards from Germany

Maik

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Some client tasks are running hundreds of hours as shown in server task protocol

I get this as well using similar deployment options, it seems to be for any task that requires an endpoint to reboot(like eDLP). It gets lost in the system and you cant terminate the task even though in most instances it has run successfully.

The only way I have found to clear them is to restart the ePO services and this flushes it out (ePO 5.1.0 here).

Once the services have been restarted the tasks will appear as terminated instead of running.

Highlighted

Re: Some client tasks are running hundreds of hours as shown in server task protocol

Hi,

thanks for answering. Yes that's one possibility. But it can’t be the final solution to restart the EPO services or the server again and again to finish that never ending tasks.

Regards Maik

Highlighted
Level 13
Message 4 of 7

I have seen this behavior for a while and never managed to get a good solution from McAfee, I agree I want a better solution or it just not happen to begin with!

Generally with servers restarting every month for patching it doesn't often become an issue affecting anything (you will notice if they go over 500 hours you get errors on the task screen, and sending new tasks with "run client task now" you wont see a status screen).

Highlighted

Hi Pierce,

which of the 3 EPO server services needs to be restarted regarding that issue?

Regards Maik

Level 13
Message 6 of 7

I generally restarted all 3 services for good measure. It's probably just the ePO application but I have never checked it to be more precise.

NOTE! anyone connected or signed into ePO will be kicked out and agents will temporarily lose connectivity.

If your the only person using ePO then it wont have any effect, but be prepared that it may take up to 5 minutes to go back to normal and you can sign back in etc....

Highlighted

Thanks for providing addional infoamtion.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community